GM Truck Club Forum banner

Can definitely tell I added a cold air intake

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  LOVINTHESTORM 
#1 ·
This weekend I installed a Volant cold air intake. Immediately upon starting the truck I could tell it was there. The sound of sucking air was pretty cool and you could tell the engine could breathe. A quick test drive and I was glad I made the purchase. The truck comes alive when hitting the throttle. I have notice it doesn't take as much throttle to maintain the same speed as before on the interstate. Haven't had it long enough to tell about gas mielage but any gain is icying on the ake for me.

#2 ·
Honestly when I added mine I didnt notice a huge difference. I might have felt a little more throttle response. Although the one I went with was kind of a cheap one, I was reluctant to spend a lot of money on something that didnt give much return. Is there somewhere that compares CAI and their values?

#3 ·
So, help me out. I understand the concept of using a CAI.........if your using it at the track and you need a few additional horses.

I also know, that Chevy has a CAI option that can be dealer added to the trucks.

And, we also know that for street use, the "cold" means air from outside the engine compartment; where as in racing, it means COLD, as in using ice to cool of the outside air.

But, here is where I'm stuck.

The stock air intake has a filter mounted near the front of the truck, the incoming air is pulled from behind the headlight (this is outside of the engine compartment air.

As near as I can tell, any after market (or, the GM) CAI uses the same air port as the factory pick-up.

The tubing run might improve the flow of air, the filter might allow a little more air to flow; but, the PCM is going to adjust the air/fuel ratio to keep it the same.

Where does the benefit come from???????

#4 ·
Phantom I did alot of research before my purchase and I don't know a website that rates them, but I did come to the conclusion that Volant and Injen were two of the best. Just info I read and videos I watched. RayVoy I by no means am a mechanic so I couldn't tell you exactly how it all works. I have seen videos of dyno testing and the intake adding upwards of 23hp. I can tell you that aftermarket intake seems to be way better quality. I do see you point with the air being suck from the same spot. But I think the difference is made from the quality of the filter, the amount of air being sucked, and the efficiency in witch it's delivered. Don't ask me I just know I can tell a difference. Now don't get me wrong I'm not talking supercharger power or nothing but a noticeable difference. And like I said if it gets me better gas mileage it was definitely worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.