GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 1993 GMC ck3500 4x4 dually and I have a weird question that I need answered. I have heard of it before but haven't seen it done so I am wondering if it possible, but first off ill start off with my reason for asking. I plow with it in the winter and I do work it fairly hard and the blade I am pushing is a beast it is a 9ft western straight blade and it is about 2'1/2 - 2'3/4 ft tall so it is a bit of a beast it weighs probably around 900 pounds. And being IFS in the front it is torsion bar and it is pretty weak it sags quit a bit with the blade when I lift it. And I don't really have the time to take it off the road and put in new torsion bars etc, so I am wondering is it possible to some how weld pockets to the A-arms and to the frame and add coils as helpers?? Have any of you ever heard of this being done??

Thanks for any help guys.

·
Super Moderator
740 Posts
Not sure if yours is the same as my 96 1500 with torsion springs.
On mine at the rear of the spring there is a ride height adjustment screw where the spring goes into the cross member by the trans. You could just crank it up a bit to help with the sag.

I would think it would take a LOT longer to fabricate and weld in spring pockets than to replace the torsion springs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Flyinfool Yes mine do have adjusters but they are seized tight I tried loobing them everyday for about 2 weeks and they still wont turn. And I was thinking if the coils could be done then if I get a day here and there I can weld a pocket here and there and slowly work at it since it doesn't need them to drive unlike the torsion bars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If they are seized and you absolutely cannot get them loose [try the big red wrench], try finding air shocks for the front or cellular bump stops that are extended. Seriously though, an oxy torch on the bolt NOT the key should solve your problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts