GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, being a GMC guy I would want to purchase a Yukon XL over a Suburban however I think the front end of the Yukon XL is hideous! Those giant head lights are so ugly! I think the Yukon XL would look much better with the front off of the GMC Sierra instead. My question is can the front ends be switched? I have seen people convert the 00-06 but I have not seen someone do it with the 07-12 model.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
actually i know it is, a couple places for did it on a suburban with a silverado front end, one was fro SEMA and I cant remember what the other was for. You will need all the outer stuff obviously but you would also need the inner fenders new headlight mounting brackets posibly the inner portions of the grill for mounting the radiator and hood latching. There are companiies that did complete packaging of this for the 95-99 suburbanescalade/denali, 99-02 to swap an 03 front for the pickups and SUVs so i would think there should be a 07 plus swap out there already to go. try stylintrucks.com, truckin, or a lowrider magazine.

here is a youtube of a silverado to tahoe front swap just to give you an idea of work involved
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecJP5vqBHHk

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
That Yukon with the truck fron clip looks mean as hell!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Dang that looks nice! I saw someone do a caddy swap on the 800 series truck but that GMT-900 HD front was a good design.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I always hated the look of the GMC GMT900 SUVs. It blows my mind that not one person at GMC had the guts or the pull to say "not no, but absolutely no". That HD clip looks absolutely wonderful. I'll have to file idea that should I ever end up with a GMC GMT900 SUV in my driveway.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
To each his own, I like the look of the Yukon nose.

I don't think I've ever seen a GMC nose I didn't like

·
Registered
446 Posts
I really like the look of the 900s. But I also like that with the Sierra clip. I think the 900 found the best compromise between slab sided box and the roundiness of the 800. The 15+ is way too boxy for my tastes.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
Depends upon how much work you want to invest, a 2013 Suburban is the least amount of work.

·
Registered
598 Posts
@RayVoy is right. Anything can be achieved with enough time and money. I remember watching a car show once where they took an older Suburban and make it look like a newer Escalade. There was quite a bit of cutting and drilling. Johnny Cash would have been proud.

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know I’m late but if anyone is still wondering , yes all front ends of the same GMT 900 front ends are interchangeable but will require everything including the core support and everything from the firewall forward. The doors and cabs are the same on pickups and also quarters on SUV’s but obviously front ends are not the same. Not like the old days when it was just the grill. As the years went on Chevy and GMC made more differences between brands to where now they are totally different bodies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know I’m late but if anyone is still wondering , yes all front ends of the same GMT 900 front ends are interchangeable but will require everything including the core support and everything from the firewall forward. The doors and cabs are the same on pickups and also quarters on SUV’s but obviously front ends are not the same. Not like the old days when it was just the grill. As the years went on Chevy and GMC made more differences between brands to where now they are totally different bodies.
Hi,
so basically that mean if i buy a 2011 Escalade and 2011 Sierra hood, fenders, bumper, grill, lights and the support for it, i can easily swap it bolt on?
Buying some GM SUV this september and can't decide which one to buy...
Like the looks of Sierra, but can't go with a truck since need to carry a 2 daughters and 3 dogs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
so basically that mean if i buy a 2011 Escalade and 2011 Sierra hood, fenders, bumper, grill, lights and the support for it, i can easily swap it bolt on?
Buying some GM SUV this september and can't decide which one to buy...
Like the looks of Sierra, but can't go with a truck since need to carry a 2 daughters and 3 dogs.
Yes but also the wiring for the headlamps should be different and I dont know if the harness can be unplugged and swapped or if it has to be spliced in. Other than that. All the body parts can interchange

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes but also the wiring for the headlamps should be different and I dont know if the harness can be unplugged and swapped or if it has to be spliced in. Other than that. All the body parts can interchange
thanks a lot!
i believe the wiring can be done in some weird way.
i plan to buy alpharex headlights for it as well.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Why dont you just buy a suburban? I don't see the point in down grading an Escalade. save those extra pennies and treat your family. I didnt realize that gmc only has the terrain... I have a GMC suburban, I just assumed they were still doing that. they actually probably are but would be for GVMT/Sec Ops type fleets with big motors and no afm.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts