GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading another posting and I noticed that TrailLeadr's Suburban has 207,000 miles. My '99 Suburban recently went over 100,000 and I'm wondering about tips on how to keep it going another 100,000. My old '86 Suburban started having problem after problem (transmission, steering, timing, rust, etc.) at around 150,000. We gave up on it. This time we started with the '99 new, so I'm hoping that we've only just begun.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just give it some love ;-) I have done nothing very special with mine and I'm at 186,000 I bought it with 75k and use it for heavy towing and off road a little and everything thing in between.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got 203000 on mine'95 k2500. I pull a 29 foot travle trailer around all summer. I supose that it'll go sooner or later, but it seems to be running great. I beleive that the full injected motors of today run longer. Even if it is the same block as the old carbed ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have 225,000 on my 94 K1500, and I replaced the transmission at 200k. The engine is still strong and I do not add oil between changes. When this motor goes, I will replace it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My husband had an '80 F250 (Sorry, GM) pickup that he loved so much he replaced the engine at somewhere well over 100,000 miles. EVERYTHING else fell apart immediately, from the windshield to the rear axle. Such a sad waste of time and money.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Simple steps for long life.

I've had several high mileage vehicles, and I have followed a simple two step program for long life that works for me and others.

Step 1. Maintenance. Change the oil, filters, and fluids as listed in your owners manual.

Step 2. Wash. Keep your vehicle washed and clean, especially in the winter when there's salt on the roads.

That's it, I really believe it's that simple.

Here's my expansion of step 1.

Check all fluids and filters and change them before they lose effectiveness.
That means engine oil, power steering fluid, tranny fluid, coolant, differential oil (front and rear), transfer case, etc. Grease all zerk fittings on the chassis, lube your hinges and other wear parts.

Also, personally I believe in using quality components. I use synthetic lubricants and high quality filters like Wix or Purolator Pure One.

This has worked for me and others.

I put 186,000 on an 83 Olds Cutlass coupe before I sold it still running great.

I have an 83 Mercedes 240D Diesel that recently passed 333,333 miles and runs like new.

I have an 88 Suburban 4x4 with 204,500 on it, I just took it on a 2400 mile trip, in hilly, windy conditions and used no oil, and got as much as 17MPG on the first 700 mile leg without trailer, and as much as 14MPG with the trailer.
Like those old mud flaps say, "Keep on Truckin!"

Later,
Tachyon

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have heard that you should do a full detail each year on your vehicles. it will help keep everything from having those stains that sit in there for a couple of years. Nothing worse than finding years old french fries under the seats, etc.

other than that, don't abuse your vehicles. keep them well maintained and serviced.

G

·
0 Posts
My 'burban is at 208k miles, and was running strong, but seems to be getting a little sleepy lately. Probably just in need of a tune-up, but otherwise show's no sign of giving up the ghost just yet. :D

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Mine has almost 300,000 now. 1993 4x4. My friend tells me that there are not many with that kind of mileage that are still in service. I DID have to replace the instrument cluster recently, so it only shows 214,000 now...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
300,000, wow! I just missed seeing mine at 111,111.1. I knew it was going to get there on my next drive but I forgot about it on my next drive. Now I'll just have to keep it going for 222,222.2. You guys make it seem very possible.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
It is absolutely possible... and as long as you take care of it by doing scheduled maintainence, and you don't rag it out, it will most definately last that long! I am seeing more and more of these with high mileage these days!

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 78 Suburban has over 300,xxx.(there's not much left)Wifey's Exploder has 212,xxx. She had a 97 Geo-pet Metro, we bought literally off the showroom floor with 8 miles on it. It had 311,xxx on it when it was sold in 2003. It went through two tranny's (probably 20 headights, no exageration)but the engine was never taken apart. Not even a timing belt..!!!! It still got 44mpg the last time it went out the driveway.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
over 200,000 miles

Our 94 has as of now, just moved it. 196,276 miles.

The 86 Burb has over 300,000 not sure exactly what right now but I know it’s over 300,000.

You take care of your Burb and it will take care of you.

PS

The ford exploder was a good one, I bet it had a V8 in it.

I have, (forgive me guys) two full size Ford vans with the 300- 6 cylinder in them with over 300,000 miles on one and the 84 has almost 400,000 miles on it, I did just rebuild the engine on that one a couple of years ago. Those old 300 streight 6s are bullet proof to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts