GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I Have A 1996 Chev C~1500 Technically It's Considered A 97 Because iIt Was Made In December Of 1996. Anyway So My Cargo Light Should Turn On WhenvI Hit The Switch Up To The On Position Regardless If The Truck Is On Or Running, It Should Work Regardless. And It Only Seems To Work When I Turn On My Interior Lights. I Just Installed A Brand New Smoked Out L.E.D Third Brake Light Thought That Was The Problem So I Re-installed The Stock Brake Light And I'm Having The Same Issue, Is This Just How The Cargo Lights Work On These Older Chevs? If So It Makes No Sense. Can Someone Help Me Out? I Would Greatly Appreciate Any Feasible Assistance/Answers. 馃檹

Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
All of the older models I have dealt with only turn on the cargo light when the interior lights are on.

Registered
I rewired and ran new wires to the cargo lights. I added another oem cargo light switch, got power from one of the aux power plugs beside the cigarette lighter, It's always on. I got projector lense leds and blew 2 up.... if you put a multimeter on the terminals you will see that the terminals on the left are one and the right is also one, so that circuit printed leds will short out because they have negative and positive connections on both sides of the board. Instead of redoing the sockets somehow.... I simply removed the copper off of the printed circuit board on the leds so that they dont short out. The projector leds i tried to use the second time were to long to fit inside the lense so I drilled holes in the lenses and popped the bulbs through the front to the outside and siliconed around the hole to seal it up. Then I had these sweet ass projector lense leds that operate independent of the trucks interior light circuit, but I still had that original circuit intact just tapped up inside the roof. With that thought I grabbed up a couple really good silicone embedded leds, opened up the cargo light one last time and soldered and shrink wrapped the leds to the ends of the original cargo light wiring, tucked them Back up inside the lense, siliconed up anything that could leak and reassembled. Now I have the original cargo light circuit that gets turned off with the original cargo light switch and another cargo light switch, where I tied in the illumination terminal on the back of the switch to the output of the switch. So when the cargo light projector leds are on, the switch also illuminates.

Cheers

Al

Registered

I normally do a write up on here but GMTC has been pissing me off for a couple years and so I got lazy. That's the closest thing I did to a write up with pics. Here I'll try to post them here.

Al

1 - 5 of 5 Posts