GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new '07 Silverado today. I traded in an '03. I loved my old truck and I'm hoping I'll be just as satisfied with the new one. I stepped up from the LS model with the stock 4.8L to the LT2 model with the 5.3L, 3.42 gears and tow package. There's a noticeable performance difference! My question is: can anybody recommend a reasonably priced carpeted bed mat. I've done a google search and the predominant product seems to be the BedRug. Only thing is, I don't want to spend $350+ for a rug. I just want a durable, carpeted mat to put under a tonneau cover...something to protect the bed but looks good too. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I just picked up my new '07 Silverado today. I traded in an '03. I loved my old truck and I'm hoping I'll be just as satisfied with the new one. I stepped up from the LS model with the stock 4.8L to the LT2 model with the 5.3L, 3.42 gears and tow package. There's a noticeable performance difference! My question is: can anybody recommend a reasonably priced carpeted bed mat. I've done a google search and the predominant product seems to be the BedRug. Only thing is, I don't want to spend $350+ for a rug. I just want a durable, carpeted mat to put under a tonneau cover...something to protect the bed but looks good too. Any suggestions?
:sign0016: to the site! I'm testing out a 2007 Silverado this week and I think it's a great truck.

You're looking for a carpeted mat for the best of your truck? What are you going to use the bed of the truck for? You want more friction and something to protect the bed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:sign0016: to the site! I'm testing out a 2007 Silverado this week and I think it's a great truck.

You're looking for a carpeted mat for the best of your truck? What are you going to use the bed of the truck for? You want more friction and something to protect the bed?
Right. I'm planning on covering the bed with a tonneau, but wanted something underneath for those few times I actually use the truck for what it was intended :lol: I found a double-sided bed mat which had marine carpet on one side and rubber on the other...but it's not yet available for the new body style. I think it sells for a little over $100.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Shagadillic

A good quality bed mat is going to cost $$. (But worth it) If your looking to save money pick up a remnant from the local carpet store and cut to fit. Back in High School, I did my VW van in a blue shag. (No Austin Powers jokes please.) Personally I always go with a spray on coating line LineX. More money, but worth it.

·
Banned
163 Posts
Spend the money on the BedRug. You won't be sorry. Just be sure to have someone install it that knows what they are doing if you don't. Had one in my 05 and now one in my 07. Same guy put them in. He said the 05 fit like a glove while the 07 was a real bear.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Sweet, but you'd never be able to take a load to the dump in that.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
wow, that looks great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah...just call me a cheapskate. I was able to find the BedRug for around $350, but that still seems like a lot of money to put in the back end of a pickup.

Anybody had any dealings with gmaccessoriesstore.com? They have a rubber mat with the GM logo for under $100 and the soft tonneau cover with the bowtie logo for around $350. Just wondering if they were legit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
lol, thats what I was thinking. Even thou I no longer use my truck for farming or anything by this point in time the bed is so beaten up and rusty that the bed itself would destroy that bed rug thing.

I kinda find it funny calling an 03 an old truck. I hesitate to even call mine an old truck because I know guys that are still driving around 70's model trucks.

To the point thou, do you have any local truck accessory stores in your area? I know there is a really nice on in Columbus that has a lot of cool stuff for guys who use their trucks and for guys who don't use their trucks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah...just call me a cheapskate. I was able to find the BedRug for around $350, but that still seems like a lot of money to put in the back end of a pickup.

Anybody had any dealings with gmaccessoriesstore.com? They have a rubber mat with the GM logo for under $100 and the soft tonneau cover with the bowtie logo for around $350. Just wondering if they were legit.
I bought a new tailgate cover thingie (technical I know!, but I can't think of the real name of it) for my 07 b/c the hard top cover rubbed on it. I had no issues with them and I they were quick on delivery. I would buy from them again if they had what I wanted and the price was right.

·
Banned
163 Posts
Actually, short of a trip to a "toxic-waste" dump you can. The BedRug is made of a closed cell woven polypropelene resin( ie; PLASTIC!). It will not absorb water so you can get in there and hose it out if needed. It can even withstand battery acid and engine fluids. Mud, gravel, sand, mulch, etc... are no problem. Many people are fooled by the appearance of the BedRug when in actuality it is very tough and durable.

Now, I admit I am a fanatic about my truck and I would never haul anything really nasty on the BedRug itself. When I have to I throw an old blanket or a tarp in 1st. I do haul lumber/construction goods and cabinets/furniture all the time in it however. NO problems and it just vaccums right up.

I started out using the hard plastic liners like everyone else. When spray in's arrived I moved to Line-x with a rubber bed mat. The spray in's are excellent BUT they are rough as heck and that is a problem for me. I have a small custom cabinet business and when I would transport units they would slide( even on the rubber mat )and hit the sides of the bed. I always did my best to wrap them in quilts/blankets and to pack all around with the same but it still was an issue.

I had a very expensive solid Cherry breakaway hutch style gun cabinet I spent a month on slide out of the quilt it was wrapped in and slide into the bed side which broke the crown mldg. It also had the upper side slide against the wheel well and it rubbed through the finish which took me 2 weeks to do( real pain but only way to get desired color ). As careful as I drive when deliverying it happens.

With the BedRug things hardly move unless I have to take drastic action to avoid something. Believe it or not things slide less on the BedRug than they do on a rubber mat. If they do hit the side there is no damage as the BedRug is like 1/2+ of an inch thick and cushions the blow( I am sure in an accident damage would occur ). If something manages to slide over and rub it does
nothing because the BedRug is soft.

Actually, this is the unit that got so damaged hitting the bed when it slid and then rubbing on the Line-X coated wheel well. I was able to fix it obviously as you can see in the photo but it was a lot of work and I had to reduce the price because of the delivery delay. Cost me a lot of $$$.

I also waterfowl hunt and the BedRug is great at protecting my very expensive decoys. The plastic liner and Line-X rubbed a lot of paint off decoys over the years. I can put the decoys right in the bed, especially my very expensive BigFoot full body goose decoys, and they are completely protected from paint damage.

BedRugs are not for everyone but I think they get dismissed as just something "pretty to look at" by too many folks. They are a rugged and serviceable item that I think would work for a lot more people than they think.

Check out this info from the mfg's site and see just how versatile and tough they are...

http://www.bedrug.com/experience/movie.php

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hey Silverado, I have a bed rug question for ya. I pick up wood and lumber too (All the time) I find the saw dust and tiny splitters a b***h to get out of cloth/carpet interior. I usually have to get in there in the back of my TB after vaccum and take a lint brush to it. Any ideas if the Bedrug is better at this since I'm looking at 1/2 tons (To buy)

BTW nice cabinet, Good work

·
Banned
163 Posts
Hey Silverado, I have a bed rug question for ya. I pick up wood and lumber too (All the time) I find the saw dust and tiny splitters a b***h to get out of cloth/carpet interior. I usually have to get in there in the back of my TB after vaccum and take a lint brush to it. Any ideas if the Bedrug is better at this since I'm looking at 1/2 tons (To buy)

BTW nice cabinet, Good work
Sometimes I have to crawl in and pick some small splinters( that always seem to stick in the exact middle so I can't reach even at 6' 3" )out but it isn't really bad. Usually the shop vac with the extension on so I can reach standing at the back does the trick. Sawdust comes right out.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I think this might be an option for me. Thanks Silverado

Rock on fellow woodworkers...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts