GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I am new here so I don't know if this is in the right section. My catalytic converters are all clogged up and keep throwing codes. My question is...if I replace them with straight pipes, will it still throw codes? I am not worried about emissions too much.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
just replace with straight pipe and ghost senser for the 02 reader much cheaper

·
Registered
170 Posts
just replace with straight pipe and ghost senser for the 02 reader much cheaper
Its also illegal. Please do not post up advice on this board about doing things that are against the law. The users agreement that you signed when you registered prohibits it.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
+1 for the Magnaflows, they're great and I love mine.

On a side note, if your cat went out, there's something else wrong with your truck that made that cat go out. You may want to have it checked out before you end up buying yet another cat to replace the replacement.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Its also illegal. Please do not post up advice on this board about doing things that are against the law. The users agreement that you signed when you registered prohibits it.
If your state requires you to have your vehicle checked for emissions then I wouldn't. Where I am from there are no requirements, therefore I installed a downpipe with no cat and used an o2 simulator on my grand prix for the 8 years I had it. If my cats fail on my truck I will have them removed and tuned out. But then again it depends on if you are trying to squeeze out every bit of power you can.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you delete the cats without getting the o2 simulators or having a tune to erase the code, thus letting the engine light stay on, will that harm performance? All it should do is throw a code, right? If I remember right the only o2 sensors that affects the way the engine performs are the ones before the cats.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I have no idea on the GM's. I know on some import cars, the second O2 sensor can and will have an effect on the way the motor runs. The computer sees it and tries to adjust/compensate for a malfunctioning cat. Closed loop vs. open loop or something like that, I can't remember.

This maybe part of the reason your truck is running funny from your other thread if you just deleted the cat recently.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My cats went out and I replaced with the Magnaflow and it worked great, better than OEM and cheaper, cant beat that.
I replaced my OE cat, after many years of service, with a low cost eBay Magnaflow HiPerf. It worked great, until the first required emissions certification after it went our of warranty. IMHO, if you're going with a Magnaflow cat, make sure you tend to your warranty paperwork.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts