GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and good day.. 2003 Sierra 1500 with single cd player with tape player,, Photo included

I am about ready to upgrade my stereo system without spending an additional 400 by replacing the head unit. I am adding an Alpine Ktp-445u for added rms.. Mainly because I want to keep my tape player, and without spending all the bucks for a new head unit to keep my steering wheel controls, and onstar etc..

So, I know the Single CD mecs can be changed out. (anyone know where they can be purchased)?

Does anyone know if the 6 disc changer can be installed in the same unit and work? The space requirements look to be the same. And the screen for the am/fm info and etc is not part of the unit. Has anyone done it? Or know if it can be done..

Thank you for your time and help..

Attachments

·
Registered
‘02 Suburban 2500/‘08 Suburban 2500
207 Posts
Do you mean actually taking the radio apart and swapping the internals? If so I would tend to lean to "no" simply because you have the built in tape player. While the radio itself is the same dimensions physically, I don't think you can stuff it all in there :).

They are basically extinct as new, but maybe go with a used FM modulated CD changer like the Pioneer CDX-FM1287 or JVC CH-X1100RF?

·
6,019 Posts
It will fit in there. My 03 yukon xl had the same radio with a 6 disc built in. Now I would be concerned about the electronics. Whatever tells the radio that it is a six disc is not there. There is a board on the disc changer itself, that may be what tells the rest of the radio that it is a six disc. Call these guys and ask them. They are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. You can purchase your single mech there also. If you ask them for a bare mech the price is much cheaper and you can swap your circuit board from your single to your new single
http://www.oem-auto-accessory.com/

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
It will fit in there. My 03 yukon xl had the same radio with a 6 disc built in. Now I would be concerned about the electronics. Whatever tells the radio that it is a six disc is not there. There is a board on the disc changer itself, that may be what tells the rest of the radio that it is a six disc. Call these guys and ask them. They are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. You can purchase your single mech there also. If you ask them for a bare mech the price is much cheaper and you can swap your circuit board from your single to your new single
http://www.oem-auto-accessory.com/

DAMM, I keep looking for a Bluetooth hands free EASY conversion for my stock 96 units, haven't seen one yet.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
The early to mid 2000's GM vehicles had a 6-disc changer mounted separately from the HU. It went in the trunk of my ELDO. You should be able to find one on eBay.

Chester Google Bluetooth car audio adapter. There are enough to give you a headache trying to decide which one you want.

Ted

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
The early to mid 2000's GM vehicles had a 6-disc changer mounted separately from the HU. It went in the trunk of my ELDO. You should be able to find one on eBay.

Chester Google Bluetooth car audio adapter. There are enough to give you a headache trying to decide which one you want.

Ted
Thanks Ted, trouble is they require a Aux jac, guess I need todo a upgrade in order to get it done.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Some of them use rf to the tuner. You adjust the adapter to one FM "channel(station)" or frequency then when a call comes in you just hit the button on the radio for that station. Most of this type have a separate mic so you don't have to shout at your phone.

For my ELDO I use a Co-Star unit that replaced the analog OnStar cell phone interface. The ELDO is a 2001 BTW. I don't know if your trucks had OnStar. If they did you're in luck!

Ted

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thankyou everyone for your input. I am going to call the people that PIKEY mentioned. I will update. It would sure be nice if I could put the 6 disc mech. in there. I have seen quite a few of the separate units on ebay and it sure appears the size is close enough to work. Apparently it just has a simple stacker system, not needing a whole lot more room for mechanicals.. The Cd player I have is at least half wasted space inside, which would leave enough room for easy 5 cds stacked. anyway.. the electronics could be the stopping part. probably is.. hard to believe that the internals would relay the information the 6 disc puts out.. but hey,, never know unless someone has tried it. as I say will update.. thanks again..

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Murphy resides in more places than you think.

Ted

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
okay. 6 disc changer "mech" alone cannot be installed into the HU with a single cd player. A 6 CD changer model HU can be installed, which we all kind of figured that would be the case. But main issue is no wiring in the radio to know what to do, even if you could physically get the mech. to fit. He thought not likely. So. my unit takes a Clarion Q deck. $150 bucks delivered.. Ouch. AND, YES,, a HU with or without a Tape Deck takes the same model CD mech. So if I can find the right year of HU without the Tape player I can rob the CD mech and it will work in my tape playing HU..

So.. for me.. If I cannot find a used and inexpensive HU that I can rob the CD mech out of I have decided to just go with a new Pioneer HU. I won't have my tapes but so easy nowadays to get the mp3's to replace them. Granted some work and some time, but the sound quality will be better. Not to mention I can get bluetooth for hands free phone etc. and etc. and with the right adapters keep my steering controls too..

I just found this weekend that my right front channel is not working, so thats another issue in the figures. Is it just a speaker or an output problem..

enjoyed the banter. hope this helped someone else too.. and by the way it really does sound like those guys at S.P.I. really do know their stuff.. Here is a link to their home page OEM auto links: http://oem-auto-accessory.com/index.html

all the best and Godspeed and thanks to the Creator and Him Jesus Christ in the flesh...

·
6,019 Posts
Will he sell you a bare mech? One minus the circuit board? The circuit board is expensive. He sold me a bare mech and I just switched my old board to the new mech. It was around $80

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't ask him that.. But now that I have this channel issue, that could be the HU, I am leaning towards just biting the bullet and putting the money towards new stuff.. Would def. be an upgrade, and no chance of finding out I have a blown output. Not to mention,, He told me my Clarion system maybe as little as 4 watts rms. that is horrible. no wonder I hate the way my stereo sounds.. I went from a Bose system in my Solara and a 35rms system in my old truck to this.. really bad.. So if I put an Alpine amp after the stock HU I am still only going to get 10rms.. that is horrible.. So I am getting geared up to go aftermarket. Already have most of the cables/kits ordered. Have mint condition used Kappas for front and back.. Now I just have to get the Head Unit.. So I will end up having at least 200 more in it in the end. But it will be a quality set up with 50rms to each channel.. using the alpine ktu-445u on a Pioneer 22rms HU. And I am going to go ahead and make sure I get 4V outputs. Should be a nice clean system... So far I have been very lucky finding good used speakers and alpine amp, saving me 35% off of new. So trying my best not to just throw money at it.. I like frugal. frugal is good..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts