GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing some maintenance work on my 1994 7.4L 4WD 2500... I can't get a socket on the bolts at the rear of the pan because the crossbar and bushing supporting the rear of the transmission are in the way of the pan bolts. Do I really have to take the crossbar off to get the pan off to change the filter? If so what's the best way to support the transmission while I take off the crossbar?

·
Registered
279 Posts
You shouldn't have to take it out completely. Removr the 2 transmission mount nuts and jack the transfercase up and you should be able to get at the back bolts.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
I don't know about your 4L80E, but my uncle's which is in a 1999 GMC Sierra 3500 1-ton dually 2WD has a drain plug on the bottom. It uses like a T65 Torx driver, but it's there. Hope this helps...

EDIT: I feel stupid....you want to change the filter too...duh... If nothing else, you should be able to get a jack on the tailshaft or on the block of the motor

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SUPPORT IT BY THE DRIVESHAFT. The tailshaft of the transmission is what I was referring to. The driveshaft itself will not stand the stresses and weight that would get put on it if you support the transmission by the driveshaft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts