GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So question being what’s my next step in this long project I’ve started.
i have a 2011 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 with a 7.5 in rocky ridge lift kit on 35s
Came with a 5.3l motor and well basic 1500 parts. Truck is lifted on blocks. Leafs springs have 6in block under it and same with the shock towers in the front. Truthfully I see it being the cheapest lift out there.
so what I did…. A lot of you might call me names but I’m way to deep now to stop.
I took the 5.3l motor out and put a 383 stroker motor built by monster transmission. With that I had a shop go into the trans and it has a 6l90e transmission in it. Also the truck I’ve upgraded the front upper and lower control arms to basic 2500 parts. Next step I wanna do is fix the lift situation while upgrading the leafs to 2500.
don’t understand what my bestoption is here.
truck is basically a 2500 besides I need to upgrade some suspension. Regear and upgrade the drive train. Or I might be talking out my ass lol. Also replace a lot a lot of other parts on the truck as well. Upgrading as I went

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I cant help you out a whole lot but it sounds like a cool project with the 383! hell yeah.

you can upgrade to 2500 parts but you cant really make your 1500 into a 2500.

it will always be a 1500 with 1500 tow weight ratings ect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cant help you out a whole lot but it sounds like a cool project with the 383! hell yeah.

you can upgrade to 2500 parts but you cant really make your 1500 into a 2500.

it will always be a 1500 with 1500 tow weight ratings ect.
Is that because of the frame?

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
no, its the VIN and the paperwork. you can never change the weight rating or class of the vehicle.

and yeah the frames are different between the 1500 and the 2500's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no, its the VIN and the paperwork. you can never change the weight rating or class of the vehicle.

and yeah the frames are different between the 1500 and the 2500's.
How far can I go until I have to change anything paperwork wise? Like I said i wanna change every part beside cab and frame. I dont care if the paper work says it’s a 1500 I just wanna tow whatever I hook to the thing lol. I mean is there restrictions on a 1500 towing a machine or something along those lines.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
you have tow ratings that you cant exceed no matter what mods you do. you cant change the paperwork under any circumstances. it will always be a 1500.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you have tow ratings that you cant exceed no matter what mods you do. you cant change the paperwork under any circumstances. it will always be a 1500.
Well that’s stupid.. I’m 21 and learning by the way I owne a buisness and that’s what funding this project.
Still gunna he cool watching a 1500 pull whatever you want it too!!!

·
Registered
16,652 Posts
Not trying to tell you how to spend your cash; but why not just buy a good 2500 to start with?

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
No it's not stupid its safety regulations.

And Ray is right.

your truck will haul things just fine as it is BUT it does have legal limitations and weight restrictions.

Well that’s stupid.. I’m 21 and learning by the way I owne a buisness and that’s what funding this project.
Still gunna he cool watching a 1500 pull whatever you want it too!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not trying to tell you how to spend your cash; but why not just buy a good 2500 to start with?
Already have 2.. actually about to buy a third.. they are my work trucks/company trucks.
i use this 1500 for work as well just I mean it’s my baby. What happened was I bought it when I was in highschool (mad some stupid mistakes then) but keep it in nice shape since and truthfully never had a issue with it either.
i built my construction company at 19 been running it for over 2 years now and obviously bought the 2500s throughout Time as well for the buisness.
now that the buisness is doing well and I don’t need to be putting so much money back into it I now have time to put money into this project.
truthfully it always was a dream for some reason in highschool don’t have answers on why I wanna do it. But will admit it will teach me a lot throughout the way

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No it's not stupid its safety regulations.

And Ray is right.

your truck will haul things just fine as it is BUT it does have legal limitations and weight restrictions.
Okay I get that 100%. And just don’t understand if you do something 100% right and justify it you should be able to do it. Meaning I should be able to make a legal 2500 from the ground up as long as I follow ever regulation.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 480k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,534 Posts
Okay I get that 100%. And just don’t understand if you do something 100% right and justify it you should be able to do it. Meaning I should be able to make a legal 2500 from the ground up as long as I follow ever regulation.
You probably physically can't get the truck to 2500 specs. I bet the frame rail thicknesses are different, weld ratings are different, etc. You'd be driving a new truck with your shell on it (frame off swap), but it's still a new truck... with a different frame VIN.

If you have unlimited money, you could stiffen the welds, supplement the frame, get it to 2500 specs, then rebrand it as a homebuilt with the upgraded towing specs. But good luck with insurance. 😁

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
when you weld on a frame, you change the physical properties of the metal. this is why frames are bolted together instead of being welded.

you can build your own vehicle, there's no question about that. it requires deep pockets and you would need to follow the same approvals as any other vehicle manufacture. they may want you to build a few for testing purposes and crash ratings. then after its went through the testing procedures they can assign you a vin and then you can get it plated and drive it on public roads.

or you can just but the truck you need.

a 1500 frame is apx 1/2 the thickness of a 2500 and a 3500 frame is 3/4 thicker than a 1500 frame. this is also true for almost all of the parts.

you can swap parts all you want but it will never change the weight ratings attached to the VIN. (and if you dont know anything about weight ratings, I suggest you figure that shìt out before you negligently kill someone. that is manslaughter and you will do time and can kiss your business good bye.)

take a look behind the cab where the frame bends. I have seen frames drastically bent right here from the truck being overloaded.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
And if you keep the truck off of public lands and roads, you can do whatever you want with it provided you dont kill anyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts