GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have to ask if there's a better way. I just finished an oil change on the burb (3rd one I've done on it), and there's got to be a better way to get the oil filter off (that doesn't involve removing the front driveshaft or the exhaust pipe). On previous attempts, I used a traditional oil filter strap wrench to bread it loose, but it was always a pain. This time, the strap wrench just get it started, so I ended up using a pair of channel lock pliers. If I was a cussing man, I would have done a lot of that, too. Of course, putting the filter on isn't as big of a deal, because you don't need to tighten it real tight.

What do you use to get at that stupid oil filter?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I take the easy way out

I spell it: M E C H A N I C
That way I don't have to bust a knuckle and hassle with the hazmat issue.
It is a tad lazy, but it would be bad enough to have the oil around the house, and I can't imagine dragging it to the local recycler. Maybe if I had one of those cool shop lifts with an oil drain container on wheels.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Yep farm it out. LOL Unless your doing some specific project, for $30 I let someone else crawl around under there too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i feel your pain I have had to change the oil on my moms 2002 seville sts several times and it pretty much takes an act of god to get the thing off. lol

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I use a strap type wrench that has no handle, it has a place for a 3/8” ratchet or extension.

Works great an if need be you can even put a swivel in.

·
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Is this the kind of thing, 84fiero? (Lisle 63500 in case the link fails) http://shoptoolsshoptools.com/shopexd.asp?id=154
No mine is a metal band type clamp but that looks like it does the same thing.

I forget where I got mine, some of my tools are old and have been picked up over the years at everywhere from NAPA to Snap On, to Wally World.

Where ever and what ever does the job.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts

·
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And model 2029 fits smaller filters, though I would have to verify that it would be small enough for an ACDelco PF52 oil filter (anyone know off the top of their head how big around that filter is?).

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have both filter wrenches described here plus a few more, besides using the strap one that attaches to a ratchet I have also had great success with a cap style, it fits on the base of the filter attach a ratchet an off it comes, and no cussing.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Look at some of the industrial GM 5.3 applications. At work we have a fleet of Isuzu heavy duty trucks that use the GM 5.3, they all use larger oil filters than whats found on other GMs.

·
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have both filter wrenches described here plus a few more, besides using the strap one that attaches to a ratchet I have also had great success with a cap style, it fits on the base of the filter attach a ratchet an off it comes, and no cussing.
I haven't tried the cap kind, but from monkeying with them in the parts store, they didn't seem to have enough "grip" to really get a hold of the filters. What brand cap style are you using?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the alot of the cap styles, but the thing that i hate about them is that wenever i do oil changes on my own or some ppl that are willing to pay the money, i use synthetic filters etc, and the cap is beautiful, but, when ppl cheap out, i usually gat the regular frams, and those have the grrip so the caps dont work good, strap wise i like the snap on one but the material one, one hting about those though is if i grab it first and the filter gets oily then the strap doesnt work as good. A pair of slip joints always does the trick as long as i know that i have the correct filter to replace it with (Y)

·
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate the responses. I got under and looked at the filter on my '98. I don't know that a cap type filter wrench is really going to work. The way the filter is mounted, it's kind of transverse mounted, with the "cap" end of the filter directly above the front diff/frame. It would be real hard, I think, to get a ratchet onto that end of the filter.

Considering how well the channel locks did last time, I'm almost wondering if the best filter wrench would be one of those plier shaped ones. Something like this http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=CSM&MfrPartNumber=19420&CategoryCode=3401A

·
Registered
233 Posts
if you know yourself that you have a replacement filter that is going to fit from experoience or what not, then why grap those pliers and spend money, grap a pair of slip joints that are lying around somewhere and twist the **** out of it :>

·
Registered
28 Posts
I appreciate the responses. I got under and looked at the filter on my '98. I don't know that a cap type filter wrench is really going to work. The way the filter is mounted, it's kind of transverse mounted, with the "cap" end of the filter directly above the front diff/frame. It would be real hard, I think, to get a ratchet onto that end of the filter.

Considering how well the channel locks did last time, I'm almost wondering if the best filter wrench would be one of those plier shaped ones. Something like this http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=CSM&MfrPartNumber=19420&CategoryCode=3401A
Ya I forgot about those mine are from Snap-on but the same idea they will also work when a filter is damaged.

·
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally came around time for the next oil change. I went to wally world and got one of those slip joint plier filter wrenches to try. Worked ok. We will see how it goes next time (probably in the dead of winter when it's freezing in the garage), but I think I've got a tool for the job.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't see what the big deal is, I have always used a large pair of (16") channel locks!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts