GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was reading my manual preparing to change it and i read that when i change the oil the oil life sensor needed to be reset, anyone know how to go about this or do i need to have it done at a dealership?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
If equipped, there are a couple of ways to do it. My 2002 has me step on the gas pedal 4 times when the engine is not running but the accessory power is on.

For the 2007 I thought it was automated with internal engine sensors. Did I just dream that up or is that accurate?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
If it's like my 2006 Silverado, it has the DIC which when it shows the engine oil life at such and such %, the is a button to reset that just like reseting the MPG's or Trip meter. It should be that simple. Mine has the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If it's like my 2006 Silverado, it has the DIC which when it shows the engine oil life at such and such %, the is a button to reset that just like reseting the MPG's or Trip meter. It should be that simple. Mine has the steering wheel controls.
Ditto :party:

·
Registered
233 Posts
ive got the same truck. all you gotta do is press the odometer button, till you hit oil, theres only 5 things to chose from, oil, odom, trip a, trip b, and engine hours. when you get to oil it should say whatever number 0-100 100 being fresh. all you gotta do is hold down the button for five sconds till the number goes blank, let go and it should go back to 100.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont have any oil feature, just odm trip and enginge hours. :\ and i cant find anything online about it

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Did you get an Owner's Manual with your new truck? I have found specific instructions on reseting the GMOLS (GM Oil Life System) for my 2001 Suburban, and my 2006 Silverado in their perspective Owner's Manuals. I did some searching on Google trying to find an answer for your question and this is all I could find. It basically tells you to refer to your Owner's Manual. If you bought the truck used and it did not come with one, go to your nearest GM dealer and order one.

Hope this helps in your quest:sign0011:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
More OLS info

Here is another GM site that describes OLS. Non pdf.
Here are some excerpts:
You've had OLM for years. Why hasn't my dealer told me about it and why all the fuss now?
As you can imagine, when changing from a 35-year-old traditional approach that is marketed by some very large companies, people will resist the change. Until the 2004 model year GMOLS was only available on select vehicles. Since the system was only on select vehicles it's been a little difficult for dealers to fully explain to customers so they stayed with the conservative approach. By putting it on the majority of the portfolio and simplifying the maintenance schedules we believe the benefits to the consumer and environment make this a change worth talking about.
Do I have to check my oil level now that my vehicle is equipped with the GMOLS?
Yes, the system does not sense oil level. As stated in the owner's manual, it is recommended that you check your oil every time you stop for gasoline.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i figured it did im going to call just to make sure but i didnt wanna pay 50$ there for them to change it when i can do it myself for 30 :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts