GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So every now and then the check engine light on my truck comes on. It might come on once every 2-3 months or so. I had it read the first few times and it was always the same code. I forgot the number, but it is the one saying the turbo is producing too much boost. It has always come on while I was driving on the freeway at 70+.

So far Its come on maybe 3-4 times in the past year and every time I've opened the air box taken out the filter (Which always looks fine) put the filter back in and then the light goes off.

Obviously something isn't quite right with my turbo/air system as the same code has been thrown 3 or 4 times now. But at the same time taking out and placing back in the same air filter turns the light off and so far its always taken a month or two to come back on.

Any ideas on what could be causing something like this and what I might be able to do to take care of it. My only guess is put in a new air filter as maybe it is letting to much air get in. I don't recall what brand filter is in the truck right now. But I've used them before (Always get the same one from the same place) without issues, maybe this one is defective? It has no visible damage or dirt on it.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
At a guess I'd say the air filter isnt seating well under high flow conditions. There could also be an air leak in the intake system somewhere down stream of the air filter agravating the problem.
Are you using OEM filters or a brand name replacement?
I had a similar problem with my 01 6.5 when I had it on the Dyno, under high boost situations the air filter (Fram) was allowing air to bypass the filter along the edges, I changed to a K&N and havent had the problem since.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Fuel injection can be very picky, finicky, or just plain weird.

I have seen systems not run when the air cleaner is off. For some reason it needs a certain amount of restriction or something.

If you can find the code again give us a holler it will help to know that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't actually know what brand the filter is, I don't remember. I got it from auto zone. I know it wasn't an OEM, and I know it wasn't a FRAM or K&N, but aside from that I don't know. I do know I've used that same brand in 2 other filters for this truck before without any problems.

I'll probably drop in another brand of filter soon see if it comes on again. I'll see if I can pull the code again but I'm not sure if Auto zone will read the computer for me without the light burning. I know that the code was the one for the boost being to high but I don't remember the number or anything anymore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts