GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 Silverado check enging light went out when I replaced the gas cap. It came back on after 2 tanks of gas and won't go out now. Advance Auto Parts read the code and it still is still saying it is a bad gas cap. They replaced the new cap but the light is still on. What else could it be? I don't know exactly what the code read but they said something about a bad solenoid which they said meant gas cap.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
It is picking up a slight EVAP system leak that normally is repaired by tightening or replacing the gas cap, but if it has come back, you may have a leak in one of the vent hoses between the gas tank and the engine.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Have them print out the code if they can so you know what it is. Then come back here and post the code, someone can look it up for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the codes are

P0449
EVAP Emission Control System
Vent Vlv/Sol Malf

and

P0455
EVAP Emmision Control System
Leak (Large)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Sounds like the EVAP solenoid has either gone bad or become disconnected and is causing a vacuum leak. There may be an emission diagram under the hood showing it's location.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the evap soloniod release valve on the top of the engine. I unscrewed it and found a valve like you would find on a tire. Should I push it to see if that helps clear the problem? Would it cause damage or problems if I did?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have had this happen several times- each time because the wife put gas in and did not have the gas cap tight enough- i.e. there was not back pressure in the gas tank. Each time, I tightened it down, and sure enough the light went out after 3-4 starts.

I also remember this happening repeated each time she filled up at one particular gas station.... Since this is an emmissions issue, I wonder if bad gas could cause this to happen ?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Did this ever resolve itself?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts