GM Truck Club Forum banner

Check out this best milage for my 2016 Colorado 4x4

5K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Stephen H Bougon 
#1 ·
Not bad for a Colorado 4x4

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
On two trips to Texas (4400 miles round trip) with. My 2015 Canyon Crew 4x4 I averaged 24.9 mpg calculated by fuel purchased and miles driven. The info center came up with the same average.
I have a Denali on order and am hoping it will beat my current truck.

#9 ·
By the way to get to E Texas (East of Dallas) I drive from Washington State, Idaho pan handle, 90% of the way across Montana, South on I 25 through Wyoming from top to bottom, Colorado , half of N M then East on I 20 almost the entire width of Texas = 2200 miles.

#10 · (Edited)
I never put much faith in others results on MPG's, but I do find dealers Estimated MPG very easy to achieve and exceed with proper driving techniques now days. But some shouldn't be critical of what they are hearing or being told, it is easy to achieve high or low extremes in either MPG scenario.

I have had 40.0 MPG on 200 mile trips in my HHR, I've had 26.0 MPG trips also, so for me the only significant MPG would be a 3000 mile or in my case over 7000 mile average,,, now I can make a relevant statement to the MPG that is capable of it is actually closer to 31.2 OVERALL MPG, thats 1.2 MPG AVERAGE OVER dealer estimated HIGHWAY ONLY MPG!

Yes different vehicle, but same results will usually be found with other vehicles if you average on a realistic data base. Like my Suburban, ya it can get 16 or a littleover MPG, but I have also had tanks,,,, 40+ gallon, that only get a little over 11, percentage wise it is about the same extremes as the HHR. but in reality I get closer to 14.5 to 15 with it, seldom do I drive the big dog in big city driving, and I have never done a 3000 to 7000 mile average, but am in the process.

The other thing I think many don't consider is the time of year and climate, along with the seasonal fuel blend they are running. Again I see big drops in the fall and winter in my fuel milage, instant and per tank depending on time of year, and climate. it used to be fuel,, period, year round it didn't change. Today that changes with the season, and is determined by the EPA and it's mandates along with all major oil companies using their different additives, which also varies by region. 60 degree days in winter where I live I will never get as good a MPG as I will from the same station, in the same temperature, that I will in June,, same gas, different blend. Plus all pumps state right on them,, UP TO % ETHANOL ADDED,, this means exactly that UP TO,, the more ethanol, the less MPG as a rule, the more MPG your vehicle gets, the more obvious this is.

Today I see a lot of difference in MPG being suggested from the same models and engines, with different drivers and usually given on a tank by tank result,, never a true average MPG. I have seen many that don't drive like they stole it be called out as exaggerating by those that don't want to drive with efficiency on mind,, you know those that need brake pads replaced at 30 to 50K, compared to those that get upwards to 80 to 100K on a set of pads or more. It is obvious who is going to get the better milage just on knowing how to stop efficiently. Those replacing brake pads are likely those you see pulling away from lines of cars in traffic and passing instantly at the first minute chance of doing it safely.

Then there are those that think cruise control is the best way to get good gas milage,,, never has been the case when you are talking best scenario. On larger SUVs and Pickups it may only be capable of getting 1 or so MPG better driving with trained foot, over the electronic speed control. But in the Colorado it could be closer to 2 MPG on a long trip, depending on power plant and road conditions, to as much 3 or more in compact CV or SUV. But I don't care if it is in my Suburban or my HHR, I can get better milage controlling my speed my self, allowing a 2 or 3 mph drop upgrades from my cruising speed to taking 3 to 4 mph over my selected cruising speed going down a grade, even if you are talking as little as a barely noticeable downgrade, the slighter the up or down the slighter and longer time I take to make those small 3 to 4 mph changes, but I over the years have proven every vehicle I own not capable of it's best MPG without my help, but all have been capable of easily topping the manufacturer's estimates, sorry but electronics are not that great yet, we humans are still superior in many cases.

I will assure you, I personally get my best fuel from major brand stations,, that sell large quantities of fuel, and when I learned to let off the gas when I am getting close to destination, and very rarely need my brakes before I'm under 40 mph, many times even less than that approaching a stop or turn, and not trying to accelerate to keep or raise speed going up grades willing to loose 3 or 4 mph knowing on the other side of that grade I will be getting it back and gaining 3 or 4 mph to feather back from after I level back out over a mile or so, accelerate slowly, and keep it steady.

Well This I hope has a little information some will find useful and I am sure since I've been on many forums, there will be those who THINK they know better, who will think it is all bull. But remember it always worth what you paid for it at the very least,,, and if there are those that find they just can't benefit any mpg when not using speed control,, that is what they put it there for. I personally think we would have more drivers, paying closer attention to their driving instead of other things, and could benefit from better milage,, and be more aware of what there vehicle is telling them, if they turned the cruise off, and payed more attention to the road and the instant MPG while driving, and at the same time be safer on the road.

But at any rate, if you find yourself always thinking others are exaggerating, or there must be something wrong with your vehicle because you never get close to the milage others do, it could very well be they are talking one particular time of year on one or two tanks that are observed in ideal conditions, in a different climate than you, with optimum fuel formulations, and in another climate than you are in. Or maybe they just do all the little things, that most think don't matter,, slow startups, and slower stops are big MPG benefits for those that take advantage of em, but on the highway a trained foot and attention to details will always prevail over that cruise control button!

Reactions: Ibmikey
#11 ·
I must agree with much of your thesis :) my electronic print out of driving habits from on star gives me a. 97% rating...Jeeze with that score they should UPS nice sized trophy (like a used bowling trophy) to display on the dash.
For real I drive slower by a few miles than the limits, ease the gas pedal down, use cruise a lot, and give lots of room between me and the car in front of me just in case my reaction time has slowed.

#12 ·
Ya I was a little long winded lbmikey but I read so many chest pounders talking greater than real milage on very limited miles, and many thinking it can't be done, that don't realize it's limited to a very extreme situation, and those in reverse extremes are actually not figured in with milage others quote. I tried to give some light on how irrelevant most mileage reports we all read and how easy it is to even with extended true MPG readings over 5000 or so miles can differ just by the way we as individuals drive. ;)

By the way I have been looking at the Colorado's and Canyon's. I am wondering what gears and what engine you have in yours,,

#13 ·
Understand fully, if it were not for my Texas trips I rarely put over 5-600 miles a month so most of my driving is short trips the store or a run into Spokane (35 mi round trip) Costco and cannot truely judge correct mileage and just accept the dash readout. As you indicated the winter fuel sucks and with lots of snow the vehicle just naturally delivers poorer results so I do not expect 30 mpg and must settle for 22-23. The new version of the V6 is supposed to give better mileage and the truck will have a heated steering wheel now that the warmer weather is just around the bend, coupled with an eight speed auto transmission I am optimistic .

#15 · (Edited)
Yes my average in the summer is 24-25 mpg and in the winter 22-23. When my neighbor borrowed my truck I noticed the average for that tank was 21, he has a lead foot coming off of lights and stop signs so mileage obviously is the way we drive. When i turned my 17 in on the new 2020 Denali the gauge was reading 25.5 mpg.
I will give initial averages when I get the new truck obviously expecting lower figures until broken in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.