GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Everyone,

I thought I would share this letter I got from Chevrolet today. My vehicle is affected, because I lost blower speed 5 a while back, but hadn't had the money to replace it yet. The definition of "manual" HVAC is the controls with temperature sliders rather than the automatic temperature setting. I don't know exactly which years this affects in total, but you may want to contact your local dealer to find out if you have lost any or all of the speeds on your blower or had it repaired in the past. They can tell you for certain if your vehicle is affected based on the last eight digits of your VIN.

Dear Zzyzx:

As the owner of a 2005 model year Chevrolet Silverado, your satisfaction with out product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware of a condition that may affect your vehicle. If your vehicle is equipped with a manual heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system or heavy duty heater, the interface between the electrical terminals of the relay resistor module and the wiring connector that powers the module may be incapable of conducting higher current levels for sustained periods of blower motor operation. In addition, moisture and other contaminants may enter the fresh air intake plenum and contact the internal circuit of the module or corrode the terminals. If any of these were to occur, the relay resistor module or wiring connector could overheat and the HVAC blower may not function on certain blower settings or may be inoperative. This may be accompanied by a burning smell or smoke.

Do not take your vehicle to your Chevrolet dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for this condition. If this condition occurs on your 2005 Chevrolet Silverado within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in services or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: If you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above, repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be preformed by a Chevrolet dealer. You may want to contact your Chevrolet dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Present this letter to your dealer as authorization to perform this service.

Reimbursement: If you have paid for the repairs for the recall condition, please complete the enclosed form and present it to your dealer with all required documents. Working with the dealer will expedite your requiest, however if this is not convenient, you may mail the completed form and all required documents to Reimbursement Department, PO Box 33170, Detroit, MI 48232-5170. The completed form and required documents must be presented to your dealer or received by the Reimbursement Department by May 31, 2012, unless State law specifies a longer reimbursement period.

If you have any questions or concerns that your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at 1.800.222.1020 (TTY 1.800.833.2438).

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

[Signed]
Jim Moloney
General Director - Customer & Relationship Services
Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Thanks for that info.

·
4,780 Posts
x2.....On some Good Information......I've already replaced both the Blower Motor Resistor and Blower Motor Resistor Connection's, some time ago.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
x2.....On some Good Information......I've already replaced both the Blower Motor Resistor and Blower Motor Resistor Connection's, some time ago.
Depending on what years it affected, you might be able to get the cost of the repairs refunded by your GM Dealership.

It's just a form that came with the letter. The additional information they request is as follows:
Original or clear copy of all receipts, invoices and/or repair orders that show:
  • The name and address of the person who paid for the repair.
  • The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the vehicle that was repaired.
  • Description of problem, the repair performed, date of repair and who performed the repair.
  • The total cost ofthe repair expense that is being requested.
  • Proof of payment for the repair in question and the date of payment. (Copy of cancelled check, copy of credit card receipt or receipt for cash payment)
I can scan a copy of the form if anybody needs it, but I would think the GM dealership would be able to help, since the form can be accepted by the GM dealership for processing. (Actually, that's the preferred method rather than mailing it in to GM.)

·
Registered
214 Posts
What the he77 difference would it make how many miles were on a truck? It's a lousy design, from the get-go. That's one of the poor design issues I have with my '07 the detents on the fan control are so weak you can't really tell if you have a fan speed selected or not half the time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What the he77 difference would it make how many miles were on a truck? It's a lousy design, from the get-go. That's one of the poor design issues I have with my '07 the detents on the fan control are so weak you can't really tell if you have a fan speed selected or not half the time.
Well, I can certainly understand it from both sides of the spectrum. They really only have a design life for a certain amount of time anyway. It's definitely more than I was expecting to get; I thought it was just something that broke and needed to be fixed. Having it done for free is only a bonus for me.

·
4,780 Posts
Depending on what years it affected, you might be able to get the cost of the repairs refunded by your GM Dealership.

It's just a form that came with the letter. The additional information they request is as follows:

I can scan a copy of the form if anybody needs it, but I would think the GM dealership would be able to help, since the form can be accepted by the GM dealership for processing. (Actually, that's the preferred method rather than mailing it in to GM.)

Thank for the Infor......But here is the Reason it would not help me...
......(
10 Years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in services or 150,000 miles)......, whichever occurs first......Sadly I'm over on both Time and/or Mileage......:glasses:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank for the Infor......But here is the Reason it would not help me...
......(
10 Years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in services or 150,000 miles)......, whichever occurs first......Sadly I'm over on both Time and/or Mileage......:glasses:
It took me a few minutes to realize that 1999 was, in fact, more than 10 years ago...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Took my 2005 to the dealer and they replaced resistor and plug at no cost whatsoever, just walked in and asked them about a recall and they fixed it no questions asked.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Took my 2005 to the dealer and they replaced resistor and plug at no cost whatsoever, just walked in and asked them about a recall and they fixed it no questions asked.
Was your's working or did you have issues with it?
I took my 05 in and was told they can't do anything unless its not working because they may have to replace all 3 parts harness,motor and resisitor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts