GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to tearing down the 454 I pulled out of my 1989 dually with hopes to take the money I'd save by not getting a crate engine and putting it into better heads and a cam, but that didn't happen. The 454 that was in the dually is a 2-bolt main. Considering this truck's sole purpose in life is to pull large heavy trailers, the clamping force of a 2-bolt main block just won't do. So, I need a 4-bolt main crate engine.

Looking on Autozone's website, a 4-bolt, assuming they'll sell it to me once they know my VIN, would cost me $2000, plus a $700 core fee that I probably couldn't recoup with a 2-bolt main block for a stock level engine. So, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good crate engine distributor who had 4-bolt main 454 engines with a bit of performance parts for somewhere in the $2500-3000 range all-in price. I know that won't buy much, but I also want to still run 87 octane anyway.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,512 Posts
Here’s a link to a shop that I bought from about 10 years ago. I bought a 5.7, but they have a decent price on a 4 bolt 7.4 for an 89.

I enjoyed the 5.7 I bought.

·
Registered
15,237 Posts
So Chris, if your putting it back into the dually, why not just rebuild the oem engine.

If it did the job for 30 years, it will do it for 30 more

·
Super Moderator
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So Chris, if your putting it back into the dually, why not just rebuild the oem engine.

If it did the job for 30 years, it will do it for 30 more
This truck has been butchered through the years prior to me owning it and I am 99% certain the truck did not come with that motor. I'm pretty sure it came out of some car. The original engine was TBI, but this one has a quadrajet intake with a square-bore adapter on top. The sensors on the motor are also all wrong for a TBI setup. I think this was in some other car and the previous owner chucked it in because "it's a 454 and it's a street cruiser"

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
@Cowboytrukr you forgot the link.

I'm sure the 2 bolt was not ever used in a 1 ton 454 application. It probably came out of a Country Squire Caprice station wagon, or something else cool like that!

I have been enjoying the very slow rebuild on my 454. Very slow, but it'll be so worth it in the end. The saddest part about my rebuild is that it's going back in the Suburban which has limited towing capacity compared to your dually.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Dang! That looks like some pretty good prices! I wish I had seen this before I started into my rebuild, I might have gone this route instead. $600 more for a drop in long block, $1000 more for a high torque engine. That's very tempting if I hadn't already dropped the first of several bills at the machine shop! Oh well. I know the guy doing my rebuild, if he screws it up, I only have myself to blame!o_O

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I bought the TBI 4 bolt engine with the higher torque from them. It came with a Melling MTC-1 cam. Was very nice in my ‘94 Xcab full sized bed K2500. Had 4.10’s and pulled very nicely.

Reactions: JackE

·
Super Moderator
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
One year warranty. I had mine for five years and had no issues.

·
Super Moderator
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just put down a $1000 deposit on a 454 high-torque crate engine from CME. Hopefully I'll be another happy customer. They're supposed to accept my 2-bolt main engine for a partial core fee, which makes me very happy.

Reactions: thegawd

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Sweet!

Can’t wait to see the pics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@Cowboytrukr you forgot the link.

I'm sure the 2 bolt was not ever used in a 1 ton 454 application. It probably came out of a Country Squire Caprice station wagon, or something else cool like that!

I have been enjoying the very slow rebuild on my 454. Very slow, but it'll be so worth it in the end. The saddest part about my rebuild is that it's going back in the Suburban which has limited towing capacity compared to your dually.
So your saying that the 454 2 bolt main engines were never installed in the truck or were some years different because my 85 454 is a 2 bolt main setup I haven't been able to find any info on that year having a 4 bolt main

1 - 13 of 13 Posts