GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like my Chevy truck but their customer support leaves a lot to be desired.

I just got off the phone with Chevy’s Customer Owner Center. I called them because I am coming up in my first oil change since I bought my truck and had a question about oil types.

When I finally got someone on the line, I explained to him that the owner’s manual specifies using “synthetic blend” motor oil. However since I normally use full synthetic in my other vehicles would doing so in this truck pose a problem?

I then go through a dialog where he confirms the year, make, model and engine size and that I am inquiring about using full synthetic oil instead of synthetic blend.

I was put on hold for almost three minutes while he “checked” only to have him come back and state “A check of the owner’s manual for your truck shows the recommended oil to be synthetic blend.”

Thank you Mr. Einstein.

When I reiterated that I wanted to know if I could use full synthetic, his response was…, and you are not going to believe this, “You should check with your local Chevy dealer service department”

I think the people running the Chevy Customer Owner Center used to work for Microsoft. In case you did not know, when Windows generates an error, a message comes up. The message is 100% accurate but usually completely useless in determining the cause of the problem or a resolution.

(I should have probably put this under the joke thread as no doubt some of you are getting a good laugh)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
These people are unbelievable.

When I first called into the Customer Center, they asked for my phone number in case the call got disconnected.

About an hour after my useless call to the center, I get a call from a woman trying to sign me up for OnStar.

As soon as I realized what she was doing I stopped her. I told her that I only gave Chevy my number in the event the call I imitated got dropped and I did not appreciate it now being exploited for telemarketing purposes. I went on to tell her that the number she called is my place of employment and they are not to call it again. She said they would put the number on the do-not-call list.

At no time during my initial call was it made known that the phone number could be used for telemarketing purposes which I firmly believe is deceiving.

Reactions: MikeG

·
Registered
381 Posts
Well, what did you expect from the Dunderhead that you were connected to?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cannot blame him. If the number is being used for telemarketing purposes, it is a policy decision by management..., and not a very good one.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
It chaps my jaws when a brick and mortar store asks for my number at the register. I usually give them the directory assistance number - 555-1212 with the local area code. Unless the register flags it as an inappropriate entry they have no clue as to what that number does. If asked they will sometimes say it's to lump sales together for repeat customer coupons and discounts. What actually happens is the number is added to their database which they sell to telemarketers.

Ted

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats why I never give out my home or cell number. Sometimes when asked for a number, I am tempted to start with 1-900...

Reactions: MikeG

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thats why I never give out my home or cell number. Sometimes when asked for a number, I am tempted to start with 1-900...
If you have an a$$hole coworker or neighbor you can always give them their number...... LMAORF!!!

Reactions: Lerch98 and Goldie

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is disgusting the lengths companies will go to try and sell a product.

A few years ago, my wife and I traded our time-share week to stay a newly opened resort. A day after arriving, we received a call from customer service asking if we could come down to their office for a few minutes. She went on to explain that since the resort was new they wanted our opinion on the room and any improvements we felt were needed.

To be honest there were a couple of issues we felt needed addressing so we went down the next morning. After spending about five minutes discussing the issues we brought to their attention, the rep opened an album and began telling us about their new resort being built a few miles away.

I immediately saw where this was going and became irate.

As she began her pitch I firmly said "Stop!" She was obviously surprised and immediately stopped. I continued, "I came here to give you my appraisal of our room, nothing more. I am here on vacation and have no desire to waste my time looking at time-shares. I do not need nor do I want another time-share. Now, I understand you have a boss you have to answer to so if this is going to be a problem, let us get that person in here and I will explain it to them."

The rep was clearly taken aback. She excused herself and went out of the office. A minute later she returned with her boss in tow. He came in with that "I can sell anything swagger".

I suspect the rep told him I was not interested in buying anything. Considering the way he walked in, he was probably thinking he was going to show her how to make a sale.

I am 6' tall and not a small guy. There are times when this comes in handy..., this was one of them.

As her boss approached me, I abruptly stood up and stared him square in the eye expressionless. I had about 3 inches and more than few pounds on him. He stopped short and in that second he realized I was not in a mood to be trifled with. After about another second, he stuck out his hand saying, "I just wanted to thank you for coming in.". I shook his hand and he immediately left.

This was not the first nor the last time I have had to shut someone down. It is all about attitude and demeanor.

After we left the office, my wife quipped "I think he came close to wetting himself".

·
Registered
381 Posts
So, what does it cost to change gear ratios in a 4x4?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In most situations there is no need to resort to ranting and swearing.

When I am confronted with these situations, In an instant I can quickly assume a no-nonsense demeanor and will speak in a quiet but deliberate don't trifle with me tone. Often this is far more effective as it puts your opponent off balance because they cannot tell what you are capable of or will do next.

·
Registered
765 Posts
@Paladin I think you handled these well
That telemarketing crap ####es me off. I need my phone for work or talking to my friends ("what bar ya'll at") too. Not for any sales pitches and cons.
I call this telephone pollution, where all this bull#### has polluted the phone system reducing its usefulness.

When I am confronted with these situations, In an instant I can quickly assume a no-nonsense demeanor and will speak in a quiet but deliberate don't trifle with me tone. Often this is far more effective as it puts your opponent off balance because they cannot tell what you are capable of or will do next.
I can relate to this, being a big ugly dude -- Lerch.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I'm always shocked how many peoples MO is to put up and shut up.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 16 of 16 Posts