GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chevy Keyless Entry Remotes

Have you lost your keyless remote for your Chevy or GMC? Did you buy a vehicle that only came with one (I did!). Did you pay upwards of $80 or $100 to have the dealer sell and program one for you?

We highly recommend our premier vendor GM Parts Club for Chevy Remotes ... they have everything in stock and low prices to boot.

Contact them today or search by the part number (look on the back of the remote if you have one).

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Driver 1 fob went the way of the Do-Do!

I didn't know they could be reprogrammed. I changed the battery, and... nothing. I thought the transmitter went bad. I'll definitely give this a shot!

·
Registered
50 Posts
99' tahoe keyless entry

how do i program my remote? i got it with the truck used and changed the battery, but it still doesnt work. any ideas? thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
07 silverado (new body)

since my truck is used i too only got one key fob. found the fob on originalkeykess.com but as of yet cant find the programming instructions and they want 75 bucks at the stealership to program it. any ideas??

[EDIT] Thanx to TomsHHR's 2007 chevy sub keyless entry post i found it right there in my very own owners manual page 276 or 280 depending on your model..how about that :happy: now all i have to do is go order my key fob :glasses:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Two issues, did you guys get things set up to sell remotes, I need to replace one for my 2006 HHR...also would you happen to have reprograsmmingh info on the 2006 HHR remote I would like to reprogram the other unit that I have...
Pat

·
Registered
82 Posts
Two issues, did you guys get things set up to sell remotes, I need to replace one for my 2006 HHR...also would you happen to have reprograsmmingh info on the 2006 HHR remote I would like to reprogram the other unit that I have...
Pat
two things.....just go here to get your key fob and according to the website you have to have the GM Tech 2 to program the key fob so you have to go to the dealer unless you have a friend with one :great:

P.s. also when you get a new key fob and program it you will have to re-program all key fobs associated with that vehicle

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Guys thanks for the info, I will call my service manager and head over to get the remaning fob programmed and then order a second...thanks again...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Did your new Fob arrive yet?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Need a quick answer I purchased a 2008 Silverado and havent received it yet but it came with pre package remote system, my question is if i decide to get the starter remote what exactly do i need .Does this mean its ready for installation if i decide to purchase it?? Im assuming it means that all the wiring and such is ready for after market .
thanks Jerry

·
Super Moderator
3,391 Posts
Need a quick answer I purchased a 2008 Silverado and havent received it yet but it came with pre package remote system, my question is if i decide to get the starter remote what exactly do i need .Does this mean its ready for installation if i decide to purchase it?? Im assuming it means that all the wiring and such is ready for after market .
thanks Jerry
If you are going for a factory remote starter option (assuming there is one), then I'd say probably most of the wiring is in place for it. If you are going with an aftermarket remote start kit, then the wiring is NOT there. To the installer it will be a normal install to them, hunting for the appropriate lines, tieing into them, etc. It may even be a bit more difficult and costly with all the new computer systems and key security and such...

·
Registered
66 Posts
2 things.

1. when i bought my truck it only came iwth one set of remote and key, can u guys tell me how to program a new remote
2. where can i find the cheapest NEW remote. i can find used on ebay for like 12-15 but i want new. i've known people that get junk off ebay that lasts no more than 6 weeks, but the new parts come with a warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2005 Chevy Suburban Keyless Entry Remote fob programming instructons

1. Close all vehicle doors.
2. Insert the key into the ignition.
3. Hold down the power UNLOCK button on the driver’s door panel-continue to hold down until instructed
to release in step 9.
4. Perform steps 5 through 8 in fairly rapid succession.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (as far as you can go without starting the engine).
6. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
7. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
8. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
9. Release the power unlock button on the door panel. The vehicle will lock and unlock the doors automatically.
10. Hold down the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter simultaneously until the door locks and unlocks.
This step may take up to 30 seconds.
11. Repeat step 10 NOW for each additional transmitter (including any existing transmitters).
12. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to exit the transmitter programming mode.
Hi new here:happy: and did a search to reprogram my 2000 Silverado 1500 Z71 key fobs.
These instructions worked great and saved me the cash to have it redone by the dealer.

I will stick around this board, looks like a nice place to hang out.

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi new here:happy: and did a search to reprogram my 2000 Silverado 1500 Z71 key fobs.
These instructions worked great and saved me the cash to have it redone by the dealer.

I will stick around this board, looks like a nice place to hang out.

Dave
Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 2001 Tahoe and I have a keyless entry fob that I replaced the battery in and it is not working. I tried the steps and after letting go of the unlock button on the drivers door the locks to cycly. But then when I hold down the lock and unlock button on the fob it does not cycle again and still does not work. I have a remot starter, not sure if that is causing my issue. Please help

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, we are in the process of purchasing a new Silverado and have asked the dealer if it's possible to get a keyless remote. They are saying they cannot do, but will provide info on where we can obtain. Opinions on whether they truly cannot do or don't want to include this extra in our deal. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
It all depends on the YMM (Year, Make and Model). There is a transmitter and a receiver for each keyless entry vehicle, and it can be done. Some dealers don't want to bother, but a lot of the time there is no "programming" involved with the computer, you can do the steps yourself sitting in the drivers seat.

If anyone else is in this boat, I suggest that you give us a call, or call around to your local dealers until you can find someone who can say with certainty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts