GM Truck Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
ROLL CALL for Chevy Medium-Duty Truck Owners and Drivers!
Hey, let's get a current roll call to see how many are on the site and active!

Let's go, let's hear from you if you've got (or had) a Chevy Medium-Duty Truck (or same GM platform vehicle).
92 topkick flatbed

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 96 Chevrolet C7500 with a Cat 3116 and 150,000 on the clock. Been sitting almost 6 years when I got it. I also have a 91 Chevrolet C4500 which I just obtained. It has hydraulic brakes and the Cat 3116 that was a rebuilt. The engine supposedly only has 50,000 and some change on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1980 GMC Brigadier
6-71T Detroit Screaming Jimmy
7 speed Spicer
Just under 600k on the rig, with a top end less than 100k ago.
Supposedly, he hauled race horses out of North Carolina, including a winner of the Belmont Stakes in the mid-80's.
Last active CMV seems to be 2008. Less than 60k on him in the last ten years.
Will be my new shop truckwith lots of custom to come.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just joined. The truck started out as a Penske box truck, frame later extended to accommodate a 26 foot box. I originally bought it just for the box to use as a storage shed, but then made something useful out of what was left. Current plans are to make a custom camper box for the bed and still have enough room to winch up a Suzuki Samurai to take adventuring without having to tow anything.

1993 GMC Topkick
366 BB, Allison AT545
16 foot Knapheide hydraulic platform bed

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,216 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm still here
Truck now has 22.5 radials
Looking to replace the rear with something more modern, Eaton / Spicer or Rockwell - something you can still get parts for and therefore a higher more freeway axle ratio...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, I had the Firestone split 20" rims
I bought the 28160J replacement wheels from Wheels Now but if I change the axles, I will no longer need them because my bolt pattern will change.
Here is what the truck looks like now (new avatar)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Buy the tires and rims, install and torque the lug nuts. Complete bolt on.
Pretty easy, rides much nicer and I think looks better too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks I got some widowmakers on it now
That's exactly what I had, I got extremely tired of the bump-bump ride for the first 50 miles, not to mention the front two tires were original and in need of replacement. The local tire shop, that would still work on them, quoted me almost $4g to replace just the 20" tires! I bought the rims and new 22.5's for way less than that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update. I have not posted much. Bought my truck 7 months ago. 91 Topkick 7000 16 ft dump wood bed.366 tbi, 5 speed single axle. The truck had been sitting for 15 years. bed floor rotten (gone) side good. no tailgate. Had the split rings on it with 9.00x 20 tires. The first plan was to go with 10 hole unimounts. Found out would be too expensive. So fount some newer Daytons and 11 r 22.5 tire ( not great). Drained old gas put fresh in. Fired right up. Would not come off idle, found the butterflies stuck. The original plan was to get it driveable and drive it home (120 miles). The last trip up was to do tires and replace rubber brake lines and the steel line that blew out (exterior rust) Got 8 ft of steel line down the frame replaced and 3 rubber lines on rear replaced. Still no decent brakes. Did not tackle the front because of fitting strippping. Plus I think front calipers are frozen or locking up, possible bad master cylinder.
The wife and I talked about it and decided to check on getting it brought home. Find a guy that would do it for 650. So we had it brought home. Get it ready to tow was a bunch of stuff in bed, we had not been able to get the bed to dump. Took the dust cover off the pump control and disconnected the cable dump works cable frozen.
Off idle can here a slight miss

Need to order a shop manual for it.

I do have one question. How do you adjust the power steering belt? I have loosened everything except the bolts in the pump itself.

Also does any have a top for the battery box?

·
Registered
1990 GMC TopKick 7000 AWD Turbo Diesel
21 Posts
Update. I have not posted much. Bought my truck 7 months ago. 91 Topkick 7000 16 ft dump wood bed.366 tbi, 5 speed single axle. The truck had been sitting for 15 years. bed floor rotten (gone) side good. no tailgate. Had the split rings on it with 9.00x 20 tires. The first plan was to go with 10 hole unimounts. Found out would be too expensive. So fount some newer Daytons and 11 r 22.5 tire ( not great). Drained old gas put fresh in. Fired right up. Would not come off idle, found the butterflies stuck. The original plan was to get it driveable and drive it home (120 miles). The last trip up was to do tires and replace rubber brake lines and the steel line that blew out (exterior rust) Got 8 ft of steel line down the frame replaced and 3 rubber lines on rear replaced. Still no decent brakes. Did not tackle the front because of fitting strippping. Plus I think front calipers are frozen or locking up, possible bad master cylinder.
The wife and I talked about it and decided to check on getting it brought home. Find a guy that would do it for 650. So we had it brought home. Get it ready to tow was a bunch of stuff in bed, we had not been able to get the bed to dump. Took the dust cover off the pump control and disconnected the cable dump works cable frozen.
Off idle can here a slight miss

Need to order a shop manual for it.

I do have one question. How do you adjust the power steering belt? I have loosened everything except the bolts in the pump itself.

Also does any have a top for the battery box?
View attachment 166843
you still own this truck? awesome truck id use it to load trash and gravel. im thinking of taking my c20 dually bed off now and putting a custom flat bed with removable stakes and top so i can haul larger loads of firewood, trash and livestock. i use mine basically for fun, a toy, pulling stumps, yanking stuck vehicles from mud and towing vehicles in my area.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Very very cool. Green wouldn't have been my choice.
View attachment 166905
you still own this truck? awesome truck id use it to load trash and gravel. im thinking of taking my c20 dually bed off now and putting a custom flat bed with removable stakes and top so i can haul larger loads of firewood, trash and livestock. i use mine basically for fun, a toy, pulling stumps, yanking stuck vehicles from mud and towing vehicles in my area.
I have a 1976 C65 I've had 14 years. I bought it with a 454 gas, it proved to be a 366 after I had bid at auction Ebay. It had no power, I couldn't adjust timing. On the advice of a mechanic I switched to a rebuilt 427 tall block. It's then I discovered a broken part in the distributor was why I couldn't time it. Mine has a 14' long flatbed or rack dump. I've bought the 90 Top Kick with 10.4 litre turbo diesel & Allison Trans. It soon receives the dump bed.

·
Registered
1990 GMC TopKick 7000 AWD Turbo Diesel
21 Posts
Nice. Green was chosen because the truck was originally a Fire/Truck abmulance sosafety green was the original color, bed was painted to match the cab. is not cheap to have a truck painted. If I do repaint id probably keep it green but a neon bright green you see on some of the new big rigs and do a two tone. my roof is white though so i guess its already two tone. may do a strip of bed liner down the bottom of the truck like i did on my dodge.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts