GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking at getting a chevy 1500 88-98, because I really like the look and it just seems like the right truck. However, my dad is worried about mpg saying it will get like 10-12 mpg. I need some owners who have tracked it. So, basically, how many mpg do you get on average with your chevy 1500? 9Apps – Download 9Apps Free Fast Install for Android 2021

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
if its running perfect and is a 350 vortec (96-98 pickups and up to 2000? Burbs, Yukon, tahoes and Escalades) it shouldn't actually be that bad. my burb gets above 17 MPG routinely and Iv never checked my sierra. come ask that question over at www.gmt400.com and you will get a shyt tonne of awnsers. most people dont care but some do as it's a good indication of how well the engine is running. besides all that I get 17 mpg while carrying a full load and every seat full. so divide that number by the amount of people and cargo it can haul and your looking at a much greater number as it would take a car multiple trips to accomplish the same tasks.

these are also the most reliable vehicle GM ever made. the first trucks ever put in a wind tunnel and made aerodynamic.... yup they are an aerodynamic brick! that lower valance as with other parts have been engineered to move air to cut through it.

Al

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
you can offset the mpg differenc of a modern truck by its ease of maintenance, simple repair and almost no computer BS to deal with.

My cousins 2018 Sierra gets.... 19! mpg HAHAHAHA I burst out laughing... we were on a trip and I asked him to switch it to MPG and he had to play with the peddle to get the MPG that high... he started around 15 MPG and got it upto 19. HAHAHA

He wasnt to impressed that my old truck with it's old ass high mileage motor was "almost" as efficient as his new high tech afm motor.

Al

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had a 1994 Silverado 1500 extended cab 4.3 TBI 4L60E transmission and it got around 14mpg but it also had 250,000 original miles on it and I live in a hilly state.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
oh, one other consideration is the final drive ratio depending on the tire size your fueling can be an optimal balance of power with fuel economy, have more torque or have better fuel economy... my burb, 5.7 4x4, has 3.73 with 30" tires. (3.9% larger than stock) it sits in the green leaning towards fuel economy side. my Sierra 5.7 RWD, has 3.43 gears and 28" tires which are the stock size. it also sits in the green leaning toward fuel economy.

I had a 94 Burb with a 4.10 locking rear end, RWD. and it would get pretty low mileage like 10-14 if I was lucky. I was suprised at how much of a difference there was between the 2 trucks when we got the 97 Burb.

have a look at this chart. this is a huge factor in MPG that most people forget about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts