9 Posts
Louisville, Tennessee

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's been a while but I'm back....
2007 Tahoe LTZ
I've had her for two days and have spent quite a bit of time cleaning and plastidipping.. Way too much chrome for me. Will be doing wheels this week..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Tahoe looks great! I have a set of wheels I will be dipping this weekend, do you have any recommendations for a good look on them? I haven't PlastiDipped anything before. They have some of the chrome finish peeling off, and other areas are in rough shape. Was planning on sandblasting to get the surface off so the dip will stick better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As with any coating it's all about the pre-coat prep... Sandblasting is, in my opinion, a little much. Depending on the condition of your wheels a light sand, or even a 3m pad scuff should be enough. With my chrome I just wired down w alcohol, taped and sprayed. A bunch of info on YouTube...
The best part is if it turns out bad just peel it off.. good luck

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
This is what the worst of the 4 looks like.
03883B02-8C80-4C29-80D2-E8806A142363.jpeg
E87FF18C-B7B3-4CA1-9E3C-BC1B398B5AC3.jpeg

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you're able to blast them you probably should.. that's pretty bad. I do know the more time you spend prepping the better theyll turn out..

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I’m headed to the big city for the weekend so I’ll get some blast media. This may be another project that gets put off until April. My week off work is quickly filling up!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought a '96 LS about a month ago, so far so good. 191k, but still running ok, came with a "spare" motor. I smile every time I see it sitting in the driveway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I'm new here. Bought a 97 Tahoe LT 4 door 4x4 back in November 17. I bought it knowing it had a bad spider injection assembly and cracked intake manifold. I could smell no gas in the oil and it had good compression on all cylinders. I first replace the intake manifold and bought a used injection assembly. Installed the used unit and had a problem with it hydrolocking. Found #5 and #7 cylinders full of fuel both times it happened and figured I would swap them with the #5 and #7 injectors from my old assembly. Put it all back together to have it hydrolock again. Found the used assembly I had bough had a crack in the meter body that could only be detected because I pulled the intake manifold and pressurized the system to see what was happening. At that point I broke down and spent the money on the updated injectors. Got them new for $189.00 on amazon. After installing the new assembly, it started and ran great, the steering and handling was then an issue. So I replace the worn out front suspension and steering systems, including the gear box. So, was feeling pretty good with it. Then the starter went out. Installed a new starter. Now I'm having a grounding issue. Needless to say, I've spent a lot of time on this vehicle and used to own a 96 Tahoe, which I loved. I've noticed that this particular Tahoe seems to have had someone trying to customize it themselves without the proper knowledge and without taking the time to do the proper research to do it correctly or just didn't really care to do it right (wiring spliced, bolts missing in spots, radio incorrectly spliced in, door panels on back doors put back on with sheet metal screws instead of the $5/50 clips, etc.). I will eventually get the kinks worked out but I'm wishing I would have gotten it for less than the $900 I paid for it. Lol. Wish me luck on restoring this one to its former glory.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts