GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that GMC has more rivets on the frame then a Chevy truck of the same model? For example the Chevy Silverado 1500 compared to the GMC Sierra 1500. My friend and I got into an arguement on who has a better built frame and he told me that.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Is it true that GMC has more rivets on the frame then a Chevy truck of the same model? For example the Chevy Silverado 1500 compared to the GMC Sierra 1500. My friend and I got into an arguement on who has a better built frame and he told me that.
How would your friend know that?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
How would your friend know that?
He probably counted all the rivets:lol: Nah, each frame is the identical. The only differences are cosmetic ones.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
What everyone else said, the frames are identical, as are most of the parts on GMCs and Chevys. The myth that GMCs are "built better" is just that, a myth.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
What is your friend smoking?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not to start a dispute or anything but just because the components are the same doesn't necessarily mean that GMCs aren't built better. Is there any info on the time that is spent on assembly? Because if there is more time spent on a GMC than it would be a better rig. I have a Chevy so I am slamming myself but I have heard this from multiple GMC owners (who may just be trying to justify spending more on their rigs) so it is worth looking into. So does GM spend more time on a GMC truck than they do with a Chevy?

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
My Aunt works at the Arlington TX. GM plant as a QA inspector and she says theres no difference between the two trucks, they both spend the same amount of time on the assembly line and in most cases are literally built side by side.
At times the assembly line will be fully taken over by one brand or the other if theres a pending sale or regional shortage that needs to be corrected.
Other than minor differences with sheet metal, badging, and packaging their the same truck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not to start a dispute or anything but just because the components are the same doesn't necessarily mean that GMCs aren't built better. Is there any info on the time that is spent on assembly? Because if there is more time spent on a GMC than it would be a better rig. I have a Chevy so I am slamming myself but I have heard this from multiple GMC owners (who may just be trying to justify spending more on their rigs) so it is worth looking into. So does GM spend more time on a GMC truck than they do with a Chevy?
Why does a longer cycle time mean a better built product? There are many variables that go into a line speed, and just because it takes longer to build a product does not make it superior by any means. More often than not, that product has not been engineered very well (or for manufacturability) and there are problematic parts/assemblies. I have always heard that GMC was a "step up" between the brands, but majority of the parts are standardized.

To the OP, why would more rivets make it a better frame? They would be the weakest link fastener wise compared to a bolted design, welded, solid, hydroformed, etc.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

My Aunt works at the Arlington TX. GM plant as a QA inspector and she says theres no difference between the two trucks, they both spend the same amount of time on the assembly line and in most cases are literally built side by side.
At times the assembly line will be fully taken over by one brand or the other if theres a pending sale or regional shortage that needs to be corrected.
Other than minor differences with sheet metal, badging, and packaging their the same truck.
Thanks for sharing! Glad to see GM has flexible manufacturing:great:

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
If the two trucks were built different then the prices would be outragous, meaning double the engineering double the robots and double the software that runs robots and assembly lines. Plain and simple its cost and effective that they are mechanically identical so they can by built on the same line at the same plant.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What everyone else said, the frames are identical, as are most of the parts on GMCs and Chevys. The myth that GMCs are "built better" is just that, a myth.
Perhaps...but the GMCs look much nicer! :glasses:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The frames are riveted together- NOT WELDED??
I would have thought any rivets were just to hold it in place until it was welded?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Why does a longer cycle time mean a better built product? There are many variables that go into a line speed, and just because it takes longer to build a product does not make it superior by any means. More often than not, that product has not been engineered very well (or for manufacturability) and there are problematic parts/assemblies. I have always heard that GMC was a "step up" between the brands, but majority of the parts are standardized.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

Well, this is way out in left field but vehicles that are hand built without the use of automated robots and built by a select group of people would result in much better build ? (exoctic branded vehicles)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I guess I was alluding to what Randomsandwichsaid. I know that when I take more time to build something it comes out better even if I use the same components. That being said if they are built on the same line by the same people with the same components I think all you get out of it is a lighter pocket book LOL.

·
Registered
351 Posts
i have had both silverado's and sierra's...if i close my eyes...they all felt the same to me...i still catch myself calling my sierra a silverado...haha!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, this is way out in left field but vehicles that are hand built without the use of automated robots and built by a select group of people would result in much better build ? (exoctic branded vehicles)
Yep I hear ya, but we know these are not custom/exotic vehicles :)

(Love the truck BTW!)

·
Registered
527 Posts
My buddy has a 98 GMC his frame is the same as mine. We had them up on a lift recently.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts