GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting a new car for the wife. Since the $60+k Suburban is out of the question, I figure the best thing I can do is get something with a warranty that will outlast both of us. I think I can talk her into the Charger R/T, Smaller car to maker her happy, bigger engine to make me happy. My question for this post is what kind of experiences have any of you had with the lifetime warranty? I'm more interested in the Chrysler backed warranty, not one of the aftermarket warranties.

·
Registered
13,617 Posts
How do you get life time out of 5 yrs, or 60,000 miles?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have a manufacture backed warranty they call the 99/999,999. It’s in the neighborhood of $3k but covers over 5000 parts and pieces, bumper to bumper.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
That sounds like a dealer backed warranty sted of the manufacturer warranty. I would read the fine print very carefully.

Ted

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s why I’m asking. There are several dealer backed and 3rd party backed warranties, I’m after info on the Chrysler backed warranty. I know it’s available, just wondering how difficult it is to get them to actually back it.

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
Having recently purchased a new Dodge Challenger SRT (ducking my head while everybody throws rocks at me), I can tell you the "Lifetime Warranty" is a third party warranty program that is offered at various dealerships and while it offers some good things, with careful study of the fine print also has some less desireable portions.
It demands maintenance and repairs be conducted by an actual Mopar Dealership during the whole life of the warranty, any non-dealer service can void the warranty.
It has a more strict service regimen than the Chrysler recommended service plan, and it has certain restrictions that void the warranty which under a mfgrs warranty aren't allowed.
Make no mistake its an aftermarket warranty designed to make money from your purchase.

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
If your getting a Charger make sure you get the optional Track Pack, that'll make you happy while driving it.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
He probably has insurance included in his payments. $600/mo car note, $400/mo insurance payment.

Ted

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
If he was dumb enough to buy a 60k car with no trade and nothing down it would be 1k payments

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think the Chrysler backed warranty will cover any of the SRT anything, or any diesels either. I don't have a problem following their more stringent guidelines if it means I can keep the thing covered for 20+ years and 500+k miles. It would be nice to buy a car and not have to replace it every 4 years because it becomes too unreliable. I don't want to spend my retirement check on repairs, or a monthly payment. Plus I'm getting too old to want to be working on every car I own, saving that desire for the Burb alone!

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
I paid cash for the wifes car and the Hellcat, although a desireable car was out of the price range for cash.
At 54yrs old we have no need for a Hellcat, really don't need an SRT, but the price was right and it was the only GoMango car I could find at the time, I bought it as a 30th wedding anniversary for the wife.
Chrysler warranty covers just as much on an SRT, Hellcat, or Demon as it covers on the RT or SXT.
Magnussen Moss Warranty act requires it.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Happy wife, happy life.

Ted

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The way my wife drives, she wouldn't know the difference.

Reactions: xPosTech

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
Yes Ray I would give her the red key, she's afraid to drive over 65mph.
She previously had a 1991 Trans Am GTA with a vortec supercharger which she never took over 65 and didn't realize it would literally burn the tires off on command until the day before I took it down for new tires and decided to play a little.

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
So I have to retract my statement about the Chrysler Life Time Warranty being third party.
Last week a Chrysler rep talked to me about a Chrysler backed life time warranty.
Its for as long as the original owner has the car, not transferable. Covers bumper to bumper on everything, shocks, springs, electrical parts, head lights, etc.
There are two levels: Without a deductible is $6500 and with a $100 deductible is $4000. Chrysler will finance the warranty at 0% interest either way.
All of the warranty doesn't kick in until the factory 3/36k is done, but some things not included in the 3/36 become affective immediately. They also include a free rental car and trip interruption whenever your vehicle needs work.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Interesting. Wonder if that’d include body panels when they get rust holes?

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
Why yes they do under the lifetime warranty.
Not sure if it was a sales pitch or the truth but I was told they would be discontinuing sales soon due to low interest.
Since we normally own our vehicles for 10-15 years, and this is my wifes dream car she plans on keeping forever we purchased the plan with a deductible. They also offer maintenance specials with the plan, like 4 oil changes with synthetic oil and tire rotations for $120.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts