GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
First confirm that you are getting 12v at the fuse and not at the socket. If you have a short in the wire and it is not blowing the fuse it might just be a break in the wire (not touching a ground). You have to find it and repair the break or just run a new wire feom the fuse to the socket.

· Registered
23 Posts
I am actually thinking about putting the old "real" socket in my 08 and ditching the aux port "modern" socket. Wonder if I should go to the scrap yard and get an old one there.

· Registered
3 Posts
That would be do you have power at your OBD2 port if you don't then it would be the fuse the cigarette lighter coming through I see that yours should be working. If you have power at the OBD port then pull that entire cigarette lighter right out of the console and check the wires I've had mine mouth together before.

· Registered
755 Posts
First confirm that you are getting 12v at the fuse and not at the socket. If you have a short in the wire and it is not blowing the fuse it might just be a break in the wire (not touching a ground). You have to find it and repair the break or just run a new wire feom the fuse to the socket.
  1. A short will blow the fuse, voltage one side of the fuse only.
  2. No voltage at the cig lighter is a blown fuse or an open.
  3. After replacing the fuse because it was blown and no voltage at the cig lighter, a short can burn a wire open.
  4. A short would be caused with contract to the chassis (metal) which is ground. Not in a shielded harness unless it was hacked into to power something else. More likely it's the cause for a 20 year old truck if you were not the original owner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts