GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 1990 2500 Suburban since brand new. Last 5 years or more, the clear coat seems to be failing. first it got cloudy the flacked off in that area. And ONLY on the hood and now starting on the roof. HOW MANY of you have had same problem????

·
Registered
8 Posts
The dark blue paint on my '95 Suburban failed as well. Started off with the hood then the roof. I took it to a local body shop, had the hood replaced with a steel dual cowl hood, repainted the damaged areas and had the blue/gold paint scheme changed to blue/black. I had wanted to repaint the gold since I got it so having the paint fail was a real motivator to get it taken care of.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Suburban is Red and back. Only the red area of the hood and roof is affected. A local body shop said to re-paint the hood and roof only...........was $4500 holy cow, my beast is only $2000 worth in blue book I'm realy disappointed in GM painting dept on this issue

·
Registered
664 Posts
my '89 has the clearcoat peeling off the sides, and rear door area. I've seen many '80's GM,
Chrysler cars/trucks with similar paint issues

·
Super Moderator
3,391 Posts
On my '91 Suburban, the paint's flaking off of the truck. About the only place it isn't coming off in decent quantities is on the side doors and the area around the big rear window on the sides. Everything else, hood, front quarters, roof, back doors are all peeling bad. Just a fact of life in my opinion...the blasted thing is 17 years old... I'm working on slowly sanding and priming it as time permits. Once the whole truck's primed, I'm going to reprime the whole thing then paint it. And hopefully it'll work out :gasp:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yea,

GM and Chrystler both switched to a primerless paint around the end of the 80's, early 90's. It was terrible, My grandfathers suburban had bare steel showing at the 2 year mark, and GM actually paid to repaint it. They both abandoned the process pretty quickly.

The key to keeping your paint looking good is to wax the rig AT LEAST once a quarter. The environmental damage to the clearcoat is really extreme, and the only way to slow it down is to keep a good coat of wax between them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That problem helped me decide to get out of the autobody trade after the better part of 2 decades . In 88-89 I worked for a Chevy dealer , 90% of what I did was repaint these pealing nightmares . A GM rep told me once it was because the primer was baked to long before the paint was applied . True or not , I remember the primer itself was very hard , sanding took a long time even stripper took a couple applications . Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Paint Peeling

I Also Have A 1990 Suburban And Have Had The Clearcoat And Now The Base Coat Peeling To The Primer. Gm And Other Car Manufacturers Have Had Paint And Primer Problems In The Late 80's And Early 90's. Mostly Due To Paint And Primer Adhesion. The Worst Colours Were Gray And Silver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts