GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought the truck there was no noise. After 1 week I would notice a clunking noise when pulling away from a dead stop about 10 percent of the time. I took it to dealer and he couldn't replicate the noise, but then he only test drove it around the lot. In the last week it has gotten worse and shows up more often and even when it shifts from 1st to 2nd and only about 20 percent of the time. I'd like to take it back to them but I almost think they are trying not to find it till after the warranty is up. Anybody have any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
533 Posts
check the usual fluids etc etc ..but i had the same thing ended up going to another stealership since the first one told me i was nuts so i went to a smaller dealership family owned and amazingly they were able to diagnose the problem and they ended up swapping the tranny they found it was slipping gears ..

good luck :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's what I was contemplating doing. I would hate to do unneccessary damage to anything.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
These sorts of noises can occur and are sometime common. Not always though. Is it still under warranty?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The truck has 35,900 miles on it. It was GM certified which gives me another 3000 miles of warranty and I made sure it came with 5 year/100000mile warranty also. The dealer said he couldn't replicate the noise but according to my trip meter he test drove it for less than 1 mile. It feels like the rear end is shifting back and forth or the tranny is moving. It doesn't feel like an internal problem. If it's normal then I can live with it but If it's moving around I have to believe it's causing damage. The 99 Sierra I traded for the 05 had 116000 miles on it and it made absolutely no noise whatsoever. It sounded more solid and I guess I'm just paranoid that it's going to cost me a bunch of money I don't have.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My Dad had a 01 that did the same thing. After takeing to the dealer 3 times they finally told him that it is normal and that there is nothing that they can do. To me it sounded a little funny that they found the problem but could do nothing to fix it. If i remember correctly it it something in the trans. I am not sure though. Like the shift soliniods.

·
1,536 Posts
The first thing I'd check for a clunk on take off would be the u-joints.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had it over a pit yesterday with me in the pit and a friend rocking forward and back. It's almost what I would think in the rearend as it tilts up and down which makes the leaf springs close and open. The U joints feel tight and when I twist the driveline back and forth I can hear it go tink in the aluminum drive shaft. The tail shaft in the tranny moves in and out a little while rocking it also. Nothing appears loose and moving. The spacers inbetween the leaves are present, I was hoping the were gone. I read somewhere that a helper spring would stiffen the movement up but I'm really at a loss here.

·
1,536 Posts
Any movement in the pinion bearing? You've kind of associated the noise with the axle wrap, so I'm wondering if it's in the pinion bearing.

For that matter, where you've associated the clunk with axle wrap, how are the suspension connections? Any loose shock bolts or worn sway bar bushings or similar?

Which direction is the movement at the transmission: in an out or up and down? Just for clarification, does this mean it's a 2wd, or is it a 4wd as indicated in your signature (in which case we are actually referring to the transfer case)? If it's a 4wd, which t-case, and does the noise change at all from 2wd to any 4wd positions?

The driveshaft on my Suburban doesn't have one, but does yours have a slip yoke that could be making the noise?

Rear disk or drum brakes? Anything sticky in the rear brakes that might cause them to hang up sometimes and cause a clunk? Do you regularly use the parking brake?

Just brainstorming ideas, I'll try to post more if I think of any.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any movement in the pinion bearing? You've kind of associated the noise with the axle wrap, so I'm wondering if it's in the pinion bearing.

For that matter, where you've associated the clunk with axle wrap, how are the suspension connections? Any loose shock bolts or worn sway bar bushings or similar?

Which direction is the movement at the transmission: in an out or up and down? Just for clarification, does this mean it's a 2wd, or is it a 4wd as indicated in your signature (in which case we are actually referring to the transfer case)? If it's a 4wd, which t-case, and does the noise change at all from 2wd to any 4wd positions?

The driveshaft on my Suburban doesn't have one, but does yours have a slip yoke that could be making the noise?

Rear disk or drum brakes? Anything sticky in the rear brakes that might cause them to hang up sometimes and cause a clunk? Do you regularly use the parking brake?

Just brainstorming ideas, I'll try to post more if I think of any.
Some of my terminology mave be off but I'll do my best.

The spring U bolts appear to be tight, as well as the shock bolts.
The movement I called in the transmission tailpiece is actually where the driveshaft is attached to at the front of the dshaft. It is 4Wd so I guess I mean the transfer case. When the truck is rocked forward and backward the spot where the front of the driveshaft attaches is moving slightly in and out, may be normal???????
When rocking it the front of the rear end is slightly changing the angle in whech it points if you would consider the attachment point as the pointer, it points up the down slightly as the truck rocks back and forth.
As the truck rocks or when I turn the Dshaft back and forth manually I can hear and feel a clang or slop in the system somewhere, it almost feels like it is in the dshaft itself.
I don't know what a sway bar bushing is.
I've only used 4wd briefly and only to get the truck out of the deep snow and never noticed it for sure. It's getting more frequent the more I drive it.
I'm not sure what a slip yoke is.
I believe it has rear drums and I've never used the parking brake.
Hope this helps in the diagnosis.

·
1,536 Posts
Some of my terminology mave be off but I'll do my best.

The spring U bolts appear to be tight, as well as the shock bolts.
shock bushings seem tight as well? My BII had a clunk in it once. Even thought the bolts were tight, one of the bushings on the rear shock absorber was bad and the shock had some "wiggle room" to clunk.
The movement I called in the transmission tailpiece is actually where the driveshaft is attached to at the front of the dshaft. It is 4Wd so I guess I mean the transfer case. When the truck is rocked forward and backward the spot where the front of the driveshaft attaches is moving slightly in and out, may be normal???????
May be normal. As the rear suspension moves, the distance between the rear diff and the transmission/t-case changes. Some applications put a slip yoke in the middle of the driveshaft, and some put the slip yoke at the point where the driveshaft and transmission/t-case meet. I haven't played around with mine enough to be sure where it is. I know it doesn't have a slip yoke in the middle of the driveshaft.
When rocking it the front of the rear end is slightly changing the angle in whech it points if you would consider the attachment point as the pointer, it points up the down slightly as the truck rocks back and forth.
This is axle wrap. Leaf springs aren't perfect at holding the axle rigid. Under hard acceleration, axle wrap can cause clunks and wheel hop, but shouldn't cause noises under mild acceleration.
As the truck rocks or when I turn the Dshaft back and forth manually I can hear and feel a clang or slop in the system somewhere, it almost feels like it is in the dshaft itself.
Can you use a stethoscope (or hold a long screwdriver to your ear) and pinpoint it better? Front end of driveshaft? Rear end of driveshaft?
I don't know what a sway bar bushing is.
Not all applications have one on the rear, but most that I've seen do. A sway bar is 3/4 inch-1.5 inch diameter bar that goes from the frame to the axle, along the axle, and back to the frame on the other side. There are end links and bushings there that allow the bar to move in a controled way relative to the axle and frame. The sway bar "limits" or "controls" the suspension movement to reduce body roll ("sway"). The rubber bushings in the end links can go bad.
I've only used 4wd briefly and only to get the truck out of the deep snow and never noticed it for sure. It's getting more frequent the more I drive it.
If it's getting more frequent, then it should become easier to find. Sometimes the best strategy with an intermittent fault is to wait for it to become worse (more consistent) so it will be easier to find.
I'm not sure what a slip yoke is.
Slip yoke is a splined element in the driveline that allows a driveshaft/axleshaft to shorten/lengthen in response to suspension movement.
I believe it has rear drums and I've never used the parking brake.
With your stethoscope, listen to the drum to see if the clunk is coming from the brakes. I would even consider pulling the drum off to see what the condition of the brake shoes is.

As the clunk becomes more frequent, can you isolate any pattern to when it occurs? One of the challenges of diagnosing intermittents is determining what conditions trigger the fault. Any patterns/triggers you can identify ("it only does it when the moon is full") can help in the diagnosis.

If you don't feel up to this yourself, you might take it back to the shop(s) and have them look again as it gets worse, especially if you find a trigger that allows you to recreate the clunk at will. I took a frustrating intermittent into a shop once, knowing exactly how to make the car act up. The manager sent a technician on a "ride-along" so I could demonstrate and then I left the car with them for further diagnosis.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Think I know the problem........

I have a 2006 Yukon Denali and have had this problem for about a year now with no idea what it could be. Driveshaft seems fine, u joints are good, and I finally got it into the dealer and they heard it to (thank goodness!) Anyway, they have determined that the rear control arms (I think thats what they are called or traction bars???? have bad bushings, not just one but both of mine were bad.) They were causing a sound that was almost comparable to a lug nut rolling around in the spare tire under the car. I know that wasnt it but it sure sounded like it. It would happen sometimes when accellerating and then braking, and not all the time, only like 20% of the time. If you have any questions, I will be getting my car back tomorrow night, they only had one arm/bushing set in stock. My dealer is very helpful and I will be glad to have this noise gone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all,

this is now my 5th post (working toward winning the Dec. goodies:gasp:)

but really...

I had a "clunk" in the driveline as well (Chevy 1/2 ton) turned out to be the rear mount on the tranny, it would lift but only on "harder" off the line starts. (no burnin rubber or anything, simply a harder start off the line, than say granny would do.....).

The Suburban.... it clunks, beltches, and farts all the time, but I love the old girl...:biggrin:

In fact, I just mounted a plow on her, I should post some photos of her.... (another way to increase my post count @@ :glasses: @@)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I/ve been in contact with GM in Flint. They are going to set up another check up at the dealer. It's definately something shifting around and getting worse. They know I'm not going to go away so they are working with me. GM told me to expect a call thurs or friday, I didn't last night so I hope to hear something today. Now I'm having a problem with the power steering pump, when it has sat warming up in the morning for 10 minutes you can pull yourself into the truck by the steering wheel. It's locked up till the truck is put in gear. It will turn about 1'4 turn either direction but it acts like there is no power steering. When you put on the brake and shift into gear it will break loose with a little effort then it is fine for the rest of the trip to work. Only happens after extended idle. If I just start it and pop it into gear it works fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2000 silverado 5.3 z71 4wd and the dealer told me that it was the tranny mount. I am replacing that and ujoints this weekend and i will let you know if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
slip yoke was a common problem on older model trucks and SUV's. My suburban has it and my 00' gmc had it. well documented problem. When the rear axle torques, the slip yoke slides in and out of the trans. It will bind and cause a thud. Just my .02

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem on My 05 silverado 5.3 Z71 ext cab 4x4. I thought for sure it was the u joints because everytime id go from a dead stop to normal accel it clunk like mebbe the u joints were wore and it took a minute for it for it to come in contact but I took it in and they said it was the Computer. Dont know which one but said theyd flash it with the new upgrade. I didnt think itd fix it because it definatley sounded mechanical but sure enough I got it back and it didnt do it again and it drove better than before.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Had some grease put on the slip yoke today (there was NONE on it) - problem went away.

Time will tell how long this lasts, though...

·
Registered
994 Posts
My truck clunks too. It's the drive shaft and the transfercase u-joint closing the small gap.

Reactions: dwill3015

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rvj

I would look at rear trailing arm connections for correct torque,check for rear end for excessive backlash,and the most likely thing is the driveline,if it's a 2 piece with a slipyoke you may want to dope up the splines with some teflon grease.If it is the splines it should be covered on warranty good luck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts