GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i put the truck in drive no problem. If i start driving real slow at first then gas it no problem, but if i start a little fast it will seem to slip for a split second then clunk, then drive through all the gears no problem and very smooth. If i drive to a red light and stop and go fast the same problem, but if it's a rolling stop and not a complete stop then it won't clunk. It kinda sounds like the drive shaft is somehow slipping when i give it gas. If i drive like a grandpa all day it's doesn't give me problems.

Any clues? If so, what can I do myself to figure this out?

· Super Moderator
4,756 Posts
If i put the truck in drive no problem. If i start driving real slow at first then gas it no problem, but if i start a little fast it will seem to slip for a split second then clunk, then drive through all the gears no problem and very smooth. If i drive to a red light and stop and go fast the same problem, but if it's a rolling stop and not a complete stop then it won't clunk. It kinda sounds like the drive shaft is somehow slipping when i give it gas. If i drive like a grandpa all day it's doesn't give me problems.

Any clues? If so, what can I do myself to figure this out?
What Year Truck and 2WD or 4WD......Factory Rims/Tires or Aftermarket Rims/Tires???........as it could be one of a number of Items causing the Clunking Sound........We Need some more Information in order to help you out.

· Registered
1,156 Posts
x2 on what 99'HEARTBEAT said. Maybe u joints???

· Registered
8,697 Posts
I have a 2wd & had the same clunk when I first got it, & under the same driving conditions as you describe. Drive easy = no clunk. Gas it & it would clunk every time. Turned out to be the rear trans mount bolts were loose. Under power it would torque up & slide over 1/4" & the bolts would slide against the edge of the mounting holes. Yours could be a lot of other things too, but this is an easy check. Have also seen exhaust systems that weren't properly hung that would smack the underbody on acceleration. Could also be the drive shaft slip yoke or the U joints as Telor mentioned.

· Registered
1,156 Posts
Glad to hear you resolved the issue :great:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.