GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first. I'm new to the forum and want to wish everyone a good Labor Day holiday. Hope no body has to work Monday!

I have an '04 Suburban 2500 with a 6.0 liter. With the factory warranty long gone, I thought that I would start to enjoy the old beast by doing something other than filling its' bowels with dino juice every week. No way am I complaining as what I want to do now probably won't help the mileage at all. :gasp:

I'm going to start a little project of adding some HP. I'm first going to add a cold air kit as its pretty cheap/easy way to get a few extra ponies. This is where I need some help. Design wise they all look pretty much the same but the prices vary widely. I don't want to get into a treated filter either. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Louie

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just installed an AEM Brute Force cai on my 07 Classic....it fit well, nice quality, looks good (I got the polished aluminum tube).

I especially like the fact that it is a DRY filter...no oiling to mess up the mass air flow unit....paid less than $200 on ebay.

Suburban parts
Chevy Truck parts

·
Registered
9 Posts
K&N FIPK Gen 2 is the only way to go..its the Z06 of Cold Air Intakes and its fuel injected..Est.12-25 HP once your computer adjusts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is it true that if you put a throttle body spacer and the FIPK system by K&N will it mess up the air flow in a fuel injected?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
K&N FIPK Gen 2 is the only way to go..its the Z06 of Cold Air Intakes and its fuel injected..Est.12-25 HP once your computer adjusts.
Not a real fan of these K&N filters unless they are completely enclosed and actually get there air from outside the engine compartment like the original factory systems. All the ones I have seen including this one are not contained they only have heat shields. K&N FIPK Gen 2

Any filter that is open in and gets its air from under the hood is not a cold air intake. The air under the hood of a vehicle is never cold, except when you first start the engine.

Now that one from GM has the filter enclosed in a box and gets its air from outside the engine compartment. That is a true cold air intake.

Could I also ask that all you new members who haven’t filled out their user profile please do so. Just click on the home page of the forum then to the user control panel and fill in just some basic info. State, vehicle, things about you and your trucks so we can more easily help when you ask a question.

Thanks guy and

Keep it between the ditches.

·
Registered
533 Posts
this is an awsome posting as you can see i have the K&N cold air intake it's a piece of crap. I still didnt see how cold air could be developed when the thing has an exposed filter in the engine compartment. AND it's OILED thats also a big no no ..oh and by the way i was actually able to suck a little water up in the filter when i ran through some standing water by mistake on the way to work .. had the engine checked after..was lucky I actually am looking at the volant since it's also a dry filter and it's a closed enclosure or the GM closed in dry filter just looking for a good price on the Unit .

shop around and look for name brands that other people actually use ..best advise you can get is from someone who actually owns a unit on the truck ..happy hunting

·
Registered
296 Posts
Personally I havent seen any real benefits with cold air intakes on vehicles that I have owned. reprogram is the way to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just installed an AEM Brute Force cai on my 07 Classic....it fit well, nice quality, looks good (I got the polished aluminum tube).

I especially like the fact that it is a DRY filter...no oiling to mess up the mass air flow unit....paid less than $200 on ebay.

Is that in a enclosed box? How do you like it now? sound or HP difference?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've tried all different kinds of CAI's on all kinds of cars and trucks. The only ones that seem to really make a difference are the ones that pull air from outside the engine bay and are made of PLASTIC. If you get burned when you put your hand on your "Cold Air intake" after the car has been running for awhile, is it really a cold air intake? And how is that helping? Granted, Ice that baby down at the track between runs and you'll see a gain, but for normal driving, metal intakes hold heat and transmit it to the intake charge. The open element kits sound cool though...and if thats what you are going for, more power to ya. And if you want your engine bay as shinny as your chrome wheels, go for the polished intakes..But if you really want performance, keep it cool with plastic...The fastest cars and most powerful trucks aren't always the best looking.
just my .02
What happened to SBT? I've been trying to find them on the web..they had nice kits. clear lids so you could see the filter...they were sweet...
Chevy Parts

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm looking for one too, but am now confused. I had planned on getting the K&N CAI, but people say it should not be oiled, and exposed filter. I want a great performing dry filter, enclosed in a box (true cold air intake) and fit in my 4.3L V6 Silverado Classic Model. Any recommendations? I have had good luck with K&N, but their filters are all oiled.

www.gmpartsclub.com
OR
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=63-3038

Or something else?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Volant I believe is plastic housing.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Volant is a plastic housing which is what I am looking for. But how does it compare to AEM or K&N. Those three brands are what I am choosing from, but I don't think AEM comes in plastic tubing for the 4.3L V6 I have so it may be narrowed down to Volant or K&N :neutral:

And where does the cold air come from in a boxed filter housing? I understand why the filter should not be exposed in the engine compartment with all that heat, but is there something in the box that protects the filter? The K&N filter has heat shields, is that sufficient?

·
Registered
82 Posts
From my experience, K&N filters are the fastest way to destroy your engine. They just don't filter enough particles. As far as TB spacers, I have yet to shee how putting a piece of aluminum between the TB would increase HP or mileage gains. If this was true, why don't the manufacturers do it at the factory? Especially now with all of the mileage regulations that the government is imposing.

If you want a good intake, check out AEM or Volant. IMHO they are the only ones that are worth your money. Remember, if you really want to see performance, you would also have to swap out the exhaust (including headers).

Or as mentioned earlier, just re-program the computer on your vehicle -- only down side is that you might have to switch to premium fuel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
True flow or tru flow makes a modular intake tube that gets rid of the resonators and retains the factory box. They make a replacement filter as well. I'm going this route and at $109 you cant beat it. Im also routing some 3 inch flex pvc to the front of my truck with an AEM bypass valve to avoid any water issues. Hillbilly horsepower and it looks stock.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Where does the cold air come from in a boxed filter housing? I understand why the filter should not be exposed in the engine compartment with all that heat, but is there something in the box that protects the filter? The K&N filter has heat shields, is that sufficient?

@cao88c: I don't want a TB spacer, I don't think it was ever mentioned either :lol:

Now I'm way lost. I thought K&N was good, but the oiled filters claim to disrupt the air flow sensor. Volant makes a plastic housing for the filter, but doesn't the cold air become hotter on it's way to the engine? My two choices are Volant or K&N, and I cannot decide. Volant costs more, but the boxed housing may mean nothing if the K&N intake has heat shields. Another thing that makes this harder for me is I need a plastic tubing intake for a 4.3L V6 which means AEM is out of the question now.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I installed a K&N FIPK on my wife's 2001 Suburban w/5.3. I could tell right away the boost in low end torque and HP. The way it is designed with the "heat shield" box enclosing the filter and a rubber weather srtipping seal that is on all the top edges of the box that comes in contact with the underside of the hood when closed. The opening to the box is faced towards the headlight assembly this drawing in cold air. Even on the K&N website it says nothing in the description about it being a "Cold air intake" but a boost in performance and economy. If you use the filter oil properly, it will not effect the MAF sensor. I have cleaned and re-oiled mine without any probs.

I have an AFE Stage1 Cold air Intake on my 2006 Duramax and the filter is a Pro Guard7 which is their state of the art in filtration. It is gold in color and the filter oil has been engineered to not cause problems with the MAF.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks dwill3015 for that input. I myself do like K&N filters, I was just concerned whether or not the oiled filters were an issue. Looks like I will have to be very cautious when applying the oil to the filter when I clean it. I will get the K&N FIPK for my truck and install it myself. I'll post back some kind of a review in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts