GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys when I bought my 2004 Colorado it's previous owner was a smoker and the dealer masked it with something. But now I can start smelling the odor again. Does anyone have any good Colly care tips that would help remove the odors?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
New car smell will mask it for a while, it’s a spray or drops that are available at most Wal Marts, or parts stores.

As far as getting rid of it, have the interior detailed and tell them before what you are trying to get rid of, they may have something.

I will bet the smell is in the headliner, not a simple thing, or cheap to replace. Also not easy to get smells out of.

Good luck.

Simple green can eliminate some smells if used but seeing it is cigarette smoke in the headliner I’m not sure it will help.

Being smokers ourselves it really doesn’t bother us.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
You'll also find that the smell is in the heating vents. You've got a challenge ahead of you. In time that will go away, or at least you'll just get used to it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'm going to detail her this weekend. I'll try what you guys suggested and let you know how it goes. I just read somewhere that if I spray a bleach/water mixture or 2-3% into the vent intake and run them fullout it will help kill the odor in there. Have you ever heard anything like this before.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I just read somewhere that if I spray a bleach/water mixture or 2-3% into the vent intake and run them fullout it will help kill the odor in there. Have you ever heard anything like this before.
Never heard that one. I suppose it could work.
Myself, I'd try febreeze in the vents first. I don't mind the smell of bleach, but it could become as offensive as the smoke, if the bleach smell lingers too long.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd spray some type of carpet cleaner or simple green mix onto the head liner and use some elbox grease, then vacuum it off. Do it again if needed. I've noticed stuff that masks the smell will wear away but stuff that will actually CLEAN should keep the smell away. Also w/ the vents, they will eventually get clean on their own the more you use em. That bleach mixture seems like a good idea, I'll have to try that on my truck. My truck was a smoker's truck too but I've gotten it out mostly (they smoked w/ the window open so it wasnt too bad).

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hey guys when I bought my 2004 Colorado it's previous owner was a smoker and the dealer masked it with something. But now I can start smelling the odor again. Does anyone have any good Colly care tips that would help remove the odors?
Is there a cabin filter in a collie? If so Change. My Pontiac Vibe I had had one made a huge difference.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your help guys and the advice on the cabin filter sounds great. But does the 2004 Colly have a Cabin filter? If so where is it and how do I change it?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Thanks for your help guys and the advice on the cabin filter sounds great. But does the 2004 Colly have a Cabin filter? If so where is it and how do I change it?
I'll ask my Dad tonight. I only drove it once and I was too busy beating the crap out it :lol:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Here's the scoop there does not appear to be a cabin filter for a Collie, but I have some suggestion from dear old Mom.
Leave a dish of citrus peels in the car and wherever the odor is.The trick is to leave it until it dries out.

Use some coffee (not already perked) and put it inside a sock. Tie the end of the sock. Then, just put it in the car, maybe under the car seat and it will take the odor out. It works really well at getting rid of lingering odors anywhere, not just the car.

So there ya go. It takes a women to fix that part of a car, not a man apparently.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Colorado cabin filter

The GMT355 platform does not have a cabin filter.

I have a mobile interior repair business and use a fogging machine that carries and oil based enzyme to combat the source of the odor. I have also found that shampooing or steam cleaning the carpet, seat fabric or leather and headliner material will eliminate most of the odor causing gunk. What smell does remain is embedded into the foam or substrate.

To eliminate the embedded odors, Febreeze and like odor removers should work or use an ionic odor eliminator. They actually work but take a few days to more than a week depending on the severity of the odor.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The GMT355 platform does not have a cabin filter.

I have a mobile interior repair business and use a fogging machine that carries and oil based enzyme to combat the source of the odor. I have also found that shampooing or steam cleaning the carpet, seat fabric or leather and headliner material will eliminate most of the odor causing gunk. What smell does remain is embedded into the foam or substrate.

To eliminate the embedded odors, Febreeze and like odor removers should work or use an ionic odor eliminator. They actually work but take a few days to more than a week depending on the severity of the odor.

Good luck!
Thanks for clearing that up Dan, even better. A good professional cleaning.
Nice post!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all that gave me advice. I appreciate your help and will try what I can. I have already steam cleaned the seats and carpet and it took some of the smell out.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
My Trailblazer was owned by a smoker before me. I can still smell it a little bit on a hot day.

After I got it, the first week I shampooed the seats and carpet and spayed several different types of neutrailzers into the vents and on the headliner. I've heard the bit about fresh coffee grounds in a sock. (Don't laugh ... it's good at disguishing odors, they pack cocaine and dope in suitcases willed with coffee grounds to mask and absorb the odor.)

Anyhow, the smell went away about 90% after doing that, took about 2-3 hours. I can live with the 10% smoke smell.

If I had to do it over again, I would hire a professional detailer to do it for me for like $100. They would probably do a better job and they probably have better tools and chemicals.

·
Registered
1 Posts
keep shampooing it like you have been (2x/wk) and air it out - keep the windows open as much as possible for ventilation - fresh air it totally under-rated. Also get a dehumidifier to use after you shampoo the carpet. They also have an odor remover liquid to add into the shampoo machine - it works pretty well. If it is just unbearable rip it out then paint and seal the his concrete floor.. you can make it look really cool... get him an area rug from a discount place if you dont like the bare concrete idea.

Carpet Cleaning Phoenix

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
You can also place "dryer sheets" under the seats. It is like a fabric softner sheet, but the odor is way better than the smoke. Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts