GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me get a part # for the correct computer module? I need one for a 2001 Silverado HD 2500, 8.1L, Allison trans, 2-WD, extended cab. It must be this truck exactly! No others will work!

The module is the Air Bag Computer (sometimes referred to as the air bag interlock). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Richard G.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Won't your local Chevy dealer give you the pn?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chevrolet dealers

The dealer parts counter people in my area are unable to help unless blank stares count. We were able to rewire the existing harness to conform to my module.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I wouldn't know where else to get the info from other than the dealer, or off the original part. Have you tried another dealer. I wonder why the meat puppet, I mean counter person couldn't help you. They should be able to look it up by the component instead of the PN.

Please forgive me for not understanding, but you don't have the correct part now?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't know where else to get the info from other than the dealer, or off the original part. Have you tried another dealer. I wonder why the meat puppet, I mean counter person couldn't help you. They should be able to look it up by the component instead of the PN.

Please forgive me for not understanding, but you don't have the correct part now?
Part of the problem is that we took a 1999 cab and replaced the wiring harness with a 2001 harness to allow us to use the electric throttle controls instead of the older cable system because we put in an 8.1L with electric throttle. Apparently there's 29 different air bag modules to choose from for 2001 alone. I'll know tomorrow as we had to replace the one we bought new because it wouldn't take the VIN we're using.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like you aren't giving a VIN to the counter people to work with....the SDM should come right up otherwise.

Tricky, if ALL your wiring and stuff came from the big block truck.....use the big block VIN....BUT, it sounds like you didn't....which causes issues, because the BCM, PCM, and SDM all communicate with each other...and if the VINs are different, you'll have lights on.

What exactly has been done to this truck as far as wiring, body parts, and engine parts. Which body style is it? C/K or Silverado? The HDs didn't start until 01...although a 2500 could of been bought in 99, it only had a 6.0....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
air bag module

Vin #'s were different on all 4 modules on my truck. I started with a '99 2500 w/6.0L and 4L80E trans. The 2001 8.1L engine came from the Seattle area, the Allison 1000 5 speed came from Idaho. We replaced the BCM with a new one and finally came up with an air bag module that would work. To get this to work we created a new vin # copied from a truck I found in Viginia. The computers were reflashed using this new vin # (which doesn't match the trucks registration vin # but who cares) and everything is now working. Engine harness' were changed as were the cabs interior harness'. Yes, it's a lot of trouble to go to but the results are very satisfing, especially when in front of my 34', 11,500 lb. travel trailer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts