GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the Diesel forum originally, but thought I should post it here too. I have a 1993 K1500 Suburban with a high mileage (220,000) 350V8. The old truck is in great condition for its age, but I realistically expect to swap or rebuild this engine in a few years; nothing lasts forever, but with the 13mpg mileage I get now with the gasoline engine, I was considering installing/converting to a diesel engine instead. I know this will be more work and more expense to convert over, but was wondering if improved fuel economy would be worth the trouble? Any suggestions as to what engine (and or transmission) I need to be on the look-out for to make the swap as pain free as possible when the time comes? Or should I just trade for a good used diesel pickup or SUV?

·
Registered
57 Posts
You could probably find a used diesel Burb in good shape for way less than it would cost you to convert over.I just saw a 94 with the 6.5td.158k miles for $4500. They would have taken less.Needed a few cosmetic things but thats it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The newer Duramax Diesels are a much better motors I think. With that said, it is a LOT of work to swap into a GMT400. Duramax swap into a GMT800 series Burb is much easier.

I've been contemplating eventually doing something like this. Truth be told though, I have no reason yet to need the extra towing power.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts