GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1992 gmc sierra 2500. Just got home from my shop and noticed coolant smell as I got home. It isn't a slow leak and haven't been having any issues at all. But about 1/2 a block away from home it dumped the coolant all over the road and driveway. I just thought it blew a radiator hose, especially with the dump of coolant. But the coolant came from the back part of the engine, all around the radiator is dry and hoses aren't leaking at all. Just not sure where to start as the coolant kind of went everywhere back there. when I fill the radiator it is dripping down right at the starter, and it just dribbles out freely as i add fluid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The block has freeze plugs in a number of places, there are a couple, maybe more, at the rear of the block, maybe one came out.
it was a hose that came off the top of the engine in the back behind the air filter. The threads are still in the engine so I just need to figure out how to get that loose and i can install the new one.

·
Registered
17,606 Posts
The primary function of a core plug (aka freeze) is to block the holes used in the engine's sand-casting process.
That is correct, the coolant passages are filled with sand when the block is poured.
The plug is inserted to keep the coolant inside the engine; however, and I have no experience with this, they should break loose if the coolant freezes and relieve the freezing expansion pressures.
And of course they will on occasion, come loose and bleed coolant.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
4,398 Posts
The hose connection you‘re referring to is the heater line. Pot metal quick connect hemorrhoid. Been there, done that.

Get yourself a hack saw blade and some bearing grease. Assuming that the old fitting broke off, take the hacksaw blade and wrap it with a leather glove. Hold it such that the teeth engage as you pull towards you. Coat about 2 inches of the end of the blade with grease.

Insert the sawblade into the fitting deep enough to start making a cut in the aluminum. Be careful to only make cuts as you draw the blade out towards you. The grease will capture the filings. It works best if you do two cuts, one at 6 o’clock and one at 3 o’clock in the hole.

Once you’ve made your cuts, take a small screwdriver and pry out the section that you just cut. Once that quarter section is removed, you should be able to loosen the rest of the fitting with your screwdriver.

·
Registered
1988 C1500 Silverado, 5.7L with some go fast parts.
1,311 Posts
Another way to remove the quick connect fitting is with an easy-out, Here's a link to one plus, if you look further down you'll find the replacement parts. One good thing about the replacement quick connect is it's actually made out of steel instead of the OE pop metal.

·
Registered
78 Posts
it was a hose that came off the top of the engine in the back behind the air filter. The threads are still in the engine so I just need to figure out how to get that loose and i can install the new one.
That runs to the intake manifold. From heater core.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts