GM Truck Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'98 5.7L Vortec I've only had for a few months. Noticed that it was using a little coolant. "Borrowed" Autozone's pressure tester and hooked it up last night, and I've found the leak. It's a small leak, and it was kind of hard to see. The leak is located underneath the thermostat housing/upper radiator hose outlet. Like I said, it's kind of hard to see in there, but I could see the puddle down in there, and I couldn't see anything coming from the thermostat gasket or the coolant sensor. Is this the notorious intake manifold gasket leaking on me?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Definately could be, when mine went out on my 96 pickup, it went at the back, but if it is coming from that area, and it is not from the thermostat housing, it probaby is.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I have replaced the intake manifold gaskets on two '96's and one 99. They either leaked from the front or rear, but all were on the passenger side of the engine. It's not too hard of a job. Do not try to replace the heater hose fitting on the intake manifold, it WILL break flush with the manifold and turn into a real PITA.

G

·
0 Posts
GaryL said:
Do not try to replace the heater hose fitting on the intake manifold, it WILL break flush with the manifold and turn into a real PITA.
Good advice!

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
I've done this on two different small blocks, but fortunately, I haven't had to do it for about 10 years.

·
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a preferred brand/style of gasket, or will just about anything do for this gasket?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Buy the best of any good brand name. I don't have a prefered brand as far as gaskets go just so long as it is a brand name and the best one they make if they have different grades buy the best one.

You get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
$24 at Oreilly's for the upper and lower intake gaskets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.