GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '96 5.7 Suburban with 140k miles. I bought it last fall in Utah and drove it to Kentucky. Before the trip I checked the coolant level in the radiator and it was low, so I added some to bring it up to full. The overflow was full then, and has been full ever since, even after the long road trip.

I'm now having problems with low radiator levels and overheating and occassional small puddles on my garage floor. Can't tell exactly where the leak is, but it's dripping under the general area of the overflow.

If my overflow is plugged, will the pressure cause the coolant to leak from the overflow hose? That's my guess. And shouldn't the coolant flow freely from the overflow back to the radiator if the radiator cap is off, which it doesn't, even if I put my mouth over the overflow opening and blow (Don't worry, I take full personal responsibility for any toxic coolant I ingest)? :rofl:

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi there...

a wille ago a had a problem similar to yours but in my 87 Z28 driving in the beginning was no problem after a wille started loose coolant....a couple weeks later overheating.....

The water pump was the problem. I reclaced and everything went back to normal.....

You said about the coolant don't go back to the overflow....check if the cap that u r using is the the right number of LBS....my Z28 350 TPI uses a 16 lbs.... I don't know for yours....

I hope I could be usefull

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm guessing your rad cap is faulty, and your overflow hose is plugged. Also for your leak the coolant quick coupler on the passenger side and towards the front of the intake is a bad place for coolant leaks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts