GM Truck Club Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
13,320 Posts
Kenny @kennythewelder , my apologies for continuing the political debate; but I have one question for @ThundahBeagle , if you would be ok with him answering we can probably get back to the real problem.

Thunder, if providing past tax returns is not mandatory, why would Supreme Court be involved with hearing arguments for or against?
And remember, haha, this is a dumb Canadian asking the question.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Kenny @kennythewelder , my apologies for continuing the political debate; but I have one question for @ThundahBeagle , if you would be ok with him answering we can probably get back to the real problem.

Thunder, if providing past tax returns is not mandatory, why would Supreme Court be involved with hearing arguments for or against?
And remember, haha, this is a dumb Canadian asking the question.
No problem Ray. Yall have at it, all yall want. I also have a lot of respect for JT. Thing is, ( and this is not directed at JT) if your going to put your feelings out there, dont be suprised when people dis agree, and if you get pissed, then the only one who is pissed is you. It does you no good to loose you cool. As for the tax thing, well the rich always get brakes. Its not fair, but it is how things are. Life is like a $hit sandwitch, the more bread you have, the less $hit you have to eat. Again please do not misunderstand me JT, this not directed at anyone person.

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra Z71
76 Posts
Hi Ray, I hope you are doing well!
Personally I dont know any "dumb Canadians." My great grandad landed at PEI back in the day and made his way to New England. So I'm rather partial to Canadians, myself, ha ha! Beautiful country as far as I've seen, and wonderful folks as far as I've met.

The reason the Supreme Court is involved is because the House of Representatives Ways and Means Committee (which is responsible for writing our tax code AND happens to be Democrat party-controlled) made a request for Trump's taxes, him being a Republican, as irregular as that is. Partly because Ways and Means dont have any enforcement authority, and thus having less authority than the IRS in the matter, and partly because, Trump, being the natural contrarian that he is, denied them, House Ways & Means filed suit. And pushed it all the way up to the Supreme Court. Doesnt mean it wont get either thrown out, or ruled upon. Still waiting to see.

Bear in mind, the releasing of taxes really only started being an issue with Nixon, and really only ever started happening in early to mid 1970's. And even then, Gerald Ford did not release his. He only released summary reports of them.

So there is no law, and only "recent" voluntary releases of presidential tax records.

·
Registered
13,320 Posts
Thanks Kenny, I love your sandwich expression.

Thanks Thundah, I was just curious.

PEI, I saw you had mentioned PEI in an earlier post; do you still have family on the island?
If you cross at Calais/St Stephen and take Route #1 to Moncton you pass through Saint John where I live.
New England is our favorite vacation place, we try to get there 2, or 3, times every year.

Kenny, back on track. New Brunswick relaxed restrictions last weekend, we are into condition orange. This has allowed retail to open (with limits on customers inside) and for restaurants to permit 50% of seating. I suspect the condition orange restrictions are the same for all of us.
We had a couple of weeks where we tried a condition peach; this allowed a little relief in social distancing.
Indications are that we will be in condition orange until the end of June.
We have not opened the buildings for any level of education and won't until September.
Our UNB is providing online lectures and most kids are getting some form of home schooling.

The big news is that Tim Hortons will open next week, getting tired of using the drive thru, haha.

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra Z71
76 Posts
No problem Ray. Yall have at it, all yall want. I also have a lot of respect for JT. Thing is, ( and this is not directed at JT) if your going to put your feelings out there, dont be suprised when people dis agree, and if you get pissed, then the only one who is pissed is you. It does you no good to loose you cool. As for the tax thing, well the rich always get brakes. Its not fair, but it is how things are. Life is like a $hit sandwitch, the more bread you have, the less $hit you have to eat. Again please do not misunderstand me JT, this not directed at anyone person.
Hope I haven't been seen as losing control or insulting to anyone. I've only been trying to chime in with some facts and figures to let people see another side of this COVID19 scare. Trying to show its not ALL gloom and doom and we will get through this. It did turn a little political, I guess. We all have feelings and thoughts on how this has all been handled. I hope I am coming off as respectful and factual, as that has been my intent.

Anyone who feels differently about my posts here, please let me know either publicly or privately. I'm a big boy I can handle discussion.

Ultimately i hope everyone is careful and healthy. I hope to be talkin' trucks with all of you for a long time to come yet.

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra Z71
76 Posts
Thanks Kenny, I love your sandwich expression.

Thanks Thundah, I was just curious.

PEI, I saw you had mentioned PEI in an earlier post; do you still have family on the island?
If you cross at Calais/St Stephen and take Route #1 to Moncton you pass through Saint John where I live.
New England is our favorite vacation place, we try to get there 2, or 3, times every year.

The big news is that Tim Hortons will open next week, getting tired of using the drive thru, haha.
Well how about that! I think I went north and took the faster road (95) through Houlton on the way up because it was getting late. Farther route, but faster moving and better lit. But we wanted to do St. John way the next time so we could see some shoreline.

Dont think I've any family left there. Although a friend of the family for the last 35 years suspects we may be related because of last names of distant relatives of about 100 years ago. I'm trying to trace my great grandad arriving and leaving there. We will see.

·
Registered
13,320 Posts
Next time try 95 to Bangor and US9 to Calais, then NB#1 to Moncton, the only 2 lane is #9, about 90 miles; but it's a good roadway. I think that route might save some time.

Funny we are talking about this, most years we go to Ontario in the spring to visit one of our daughters.
This year we had planned to leave yesterday and to have arrived there today. We take 95 to 495 to 90 and cross into Ontario at Buffalo.
We usually spent some time in Maine on the way home at the end of May.

Stay well everyone

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra Z71
76 Posts
Isnt that something how cutting across national lines can be faster than staying in-country sometimes?

My nephew's getting married in October out in Montana. I'm in an overland forum so I wa talking about my plans to flow rt 90 all the way out. Maybe detour on 94 west of Chicago...someone suggested I just head up through Vermont and cross at Derby or Highgate, go through Ottawa and cross back in at Sault St. Marie and head west.

It hadn't occurred to me that that would be a faster route, I was too busy "coloring inside the lines." But it does look like a nice route. Only now, with things the way they are I dont know what the crossings will be like, depending on the possible second wave and all. This time I better play it safe

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
OK, I'm too old to be hurt, but since this thread is no more than basically two people talking, and since it's last 2 pages consist of only 6 member, it has very little interest to the forum as a whole. With that in mind i should ask the understanding of the mods as I let this one slip away from me, I'm sorry, and any further posting of the same thing in triplicate is also foolish. So I would like to beg off and interest myself in "Trucks" which is why we are here !

·
Registered
13,320 Posts
Isnt that something how cutting across national lines can be faster than staying in-country sometimes?
Door to door, Google maps has the Canadian only trip about 30 mins faster than going through the US.
But we like the numerous rest stops on 90. We've reach the point were we like to pull over for a coffee and a pee about every 2 hours. We can do that and stay on the highway using 90.

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra Z71
76 Posts
Door to door, Google maps has the Canadian only trip about 30 mins faster than going through the US.
But we like the numerous rest stops on 90. We've reach the point were we like to pull over for a coffee and a pee about every 2 hours. We can do that and stay on the highway using 90.
We are at the 5 hour limit ATM. I want to do 10 to 12 hours in a day, maybe 7am to 7pm, on the way out to Montana, but we will have to stop every 5 or 6 hours or so. Plus we are bringing the Beagle, so he will kind of force us to stop.

12 hours a day should get us there at the end of the 3rd day, and still have 3 of 4 days in Montana before the wedding. Then we will stay a few days and take 4 days to take a different route back. I've never been west of the Mississippi, so there's a lot I want to see on this trip

·
Registered
239 Posts
I’ll bring it back on track! I mean this is the Coffee Shop “chit chat” thread after all... if we can’t bring up non-truck related topics in here then I guess we’re screwed..

@RayVoy hey this southerner can get down with some Tim Hortons!! I loved that stuff while I was in Minot. And Caribou, but preferred the Tim!!

·
Registered
13,320 Posts
Dunkin is my go to when in the US, just because it's a change; but we love Tims in Canada.
How are ya Reb?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hangin tough Ray, the way the Air Force taught me. We’re on a modified work schedule and local leave only. Pretty typical for stuff like this. How are you? Still snowing up north?

·
Registered
13,320 Posts
Still snowing up north?
Haha, mater of fact.....YES
We woke this morning to a light dusting.
It's been a cold spring, we have had 2 over night snow showers this month, normally unheard of in May.
In May we're usually dealing with spring floods because the winter snow melts real fast; this year it's been so cold there is a slow melt and no floods. Which is great for social distancing.

We are doing well, our family postponed celebrating mothers day until this weekend because of the weather. One of the code orange rules allows for gatherings of 10; but it must be outdoors, we're hoping the weather warms by Sat.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts