GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have a 1998 k 1500 that I've been restoring i put a new engine wiring harness every sensor is brand new just about everything on the engine is brand new aside from the alternator and intake manifold. I know for a fact the crankshaft position sensor works and the reluctor wheel is in the correct position. I redid the the timing for the distributor twice now just in case because i figured that if the camshaft position sensor was in time with the crank the it wont read right but the crank reads nothing with it in all the way with not shims but is i run metal by it, it will read properly. Im going crazy over this thing its been 6 months on and off with this thing please help thank you

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
What are you saying, that the crankshaft position sensor isn't out putting?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and by the way i forgot to mention i was getting a p0136 code and all the parts involved that could cause that code got changed the guy who owns the truck as soon as i told these parts can cause the code just bought them all

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here's a write up on getting it close without a scan tool:

Look on Youtube for videos about p1345 code or setting cam retard. There are some on there. A thread on here has a link, but I can't find it quickly by searching.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Since you get a reading when using a piece of metal then the Hall effect sensor is not mounted close enough to the tone ring or the voltage to the sensor is low. How about the ground side? Hall effect sensors are tolerant to distance more so than a magnetic pickup but have limits too. Did you buy a AC Delco unit. Aftermarket units can sometimes not work correctly as the electronics inside can differ. Also what engine does the truck have?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since you get a reading when using a piece of metal then the Hall effect sensor is not mounted close enough to the tone ring or the voltage to the sensor is low. How about the ground side? Hall effect sensors are tolerant to distance more so than a magnetic pickup but have limits too. Did you buy a AC Delco unit. Aftermarket units can sometimes not work correctly as the electronics inside can differ. Also what engine does the truck have?
I got close to 12v to the power side and 0 on the ground side and have good continuity. It was also a 5.0 but we swapped it with a 5.7

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,500 Posts
Did you update the computer to have the 5.7 PROM chip?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts