GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what point does one determine whether to sink time and money into a rebuild or just by a crate engine. Both options are expensive. What would some of your points be to make that decision?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
What would some of your points be to make that decision?
A few factors -
Condition of your old short block and heads. Can the block be bored for oversized pistons? Is there a competent machine shop available that knows to remove all of the valley and lubrication plugs in the block for proper cleaning? Can you do the assembly yourself including, ring gaps, rod and main bearing clearances, proper torque procedure, etc. Cam bearings removal/installation. New cam and lifters cost. Valve job cost.

Or just buy a "quality" new or reman long block and drop it in. A reman can be more expensive but, if installed per their instructions, maybe by a qualified shop, you'll have a 3 year warranty, sometimes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few factors -
Condition of your old short block and heads. Can the block be bored for oversized pistons? Is there a competent machine shop available that knows to remove all of the valley and lubrication plugs in the block for proper cleaning? Can you do the assembly yourself including, ring gaps, rod and main bearing clearances, proper torque procedure, etc. Cam bearings removal/installation. New cam and lifters cost. Valve job cost.

Or just buy a "quality" new or reman long block and drop it in. A reman can be more expensive but, if installed per their instructions, maybe by a qualified shop, you'll have a 3 year warranty, sometimes.
I'm leaning towards a crate replacement. I've helped others rebuild a couple engines but in my situation now, I'd be doing it by my lonesome. And being expensive, I'd have more confidence in a professional doing the rebuild. so I guess my decision now is a standard 350 or an LS swap. again, money is also a deciding factor. but before that happens, I need to pull the tranny and replace the flexplate and converter. Thanks...

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
350! man, screw the LS crap... put the best engineered engine ever manufactured back in!

I have one in my Burb that's never been opened, purrs like a kitten, dosent burn any oil and has over half a million KMS....

Tried and True. Built Like a Rock! OOOOH Like A Rock!

p.s.... screw those LS swaps. LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
350! man, screw the LS crap... put the best engineered engine ever manufactured back in!

I have one in my Burb that's never been opened, purrs like a kitten, dosent burn any oil and has over half a million KMS....

Tried and True. Built Like a Rock! OOOOH Like A Rock!

p.s.... screw those LS swappers.
I know you're right about the 350. time tested and still going strong. I've had several 283's and a 327. this is my first 350. really never had much trouble with any of them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A few factors -

Well i just had the same decision to make i went with the crate engine 2007 silverado 4.8 from fraser.the crate motor and install was a bit more expensive ,but i figured if the person doing the rebuild had a bad day or was not qualified than i would have constant problems and or breakdowns .it was about 1000$more than a rebuild but now i have a brand new engine with zero miles and hope to get another 300,000 miles on her

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
BUT it's an ls.... you could have bought that 4.8 at a junkyard for damn cheap and had it rebuilt into a 5.3 and get a bit more horsepower out of it. but it's still an ls.

theres a local guy driving I think a 96 k1500 5.7. he bought it new and commuted with it since then and continues to this day, hes a machinist. his truck has over 1 million kms on it and that 350 is all original with only updated and maintained parts. the engine has not been opened. AND he lives in the rust belt... the truck is in perfect shape.

I havent heard of any ls engines exceeding 1 million kms, but Chevy 350's and Toyota's.

·
Registered
16,397 Posts
Actually Al, there's lots of LS and LT engines out there with high mileage.

Any engine can reach high mileage if synthetic oil is used.
What kills an engine is usually oil starvation, the synthetic keeps the passages clear, keeps the bearing surfaces lubricated when parked for long periods, etc.

The LS is becoming the preferred engine for high performance builds.
You, haha, will embrace it someday.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I hear ya Ray, I'll always be a 350 fan though.

There used to be a tonne of parts like turbo chargers and stuff like that for the 350 that are now discontinued and its really hard to find complete kits from back then. there are a couple modern kits available but holy heck they cost an arm n a leg. I dont need to go fast but both my trucks can spin there tires just fine. lol.

all of that and more is available for the LS....

But I am still not a fan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts