GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got ready to leave a local Walmart I pushed the clutch petal in and heard a pop noise. I tried to crank my truck but no way. Looked under the dash and discovered the safety switch was broken. Just so happened I had a jumper wire in my tool box and was on my way home in a few mins. Several days later i went on a 100 mile trip and when I got on the freeway the cruise did not work. It had always worked in the past. My question is: Does the switch have to be in the circuit or is there another prob with the cruise? Big Larry

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Yep. It disengages the cruise control when the clutch is pushed in. Get a new OEM switch and it will be fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a switch at the top of the clutch on my truck that is like the one in the link you gave me. But, that switch is working. So, that tells me that the safety switch has nothing to do with the cruise control. My nice has a 91 US made silverado and I looked at her clutch and it does not have a saftey switch on it but it has that same upper switch like mine and her cruise works fine.So, that narrows it down to the VSSensor and I cannot find one. I ordered one from a dealer on ebay.ca, sent him my vin # and the one he sent fits the non SLE canadian truck which is the same as the one on my niece's truck and it will not fit my truck. Has anyone on this site run across one of these trucks like I have????
Thanks for your reply :)

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
You do realize there are two switches, right? One at the firewall and one in front of the clutch pedal lever. The one on the firewall is the start enable. The one just in front of the pedal lever is the cruise disable. Just making sure we’re talking about the right one.

Just in case none of the safety switches are bad, here’s my cruise control troubleshooting link I did several years back.

Reactions: thegawd and RayVoy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked out your link a few mins ago, and I already had pulled the boaed off my unit yesterday and the board was fried. Had a crack in the bottom of the cap and got a lot of moister in it and fried it. The stepper motor is all rusted so it's the Bone yard i will go. I will need the complete unit. Thanks for your reply and Have a Happy New Year. Also all of the peeps on this site y'all have a Happy New Year 2 ;=)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts