GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,665 Posts
TB- According to folks at a mpg forum I frequent-they expect that Diesel Cruise to deliver OVER 50 mpg at 65 mph by just putting on the cc and pointing it.
I think it is EPA hy 46mpg??
Usually diesels EASILY beat EPA hy -by lot.
His guess-Wayne=xcel on that forum is 55mpg at a steady 60 mph.
I always pester him for steady 60 mph FE numbers so I can separate out his technique from what the car will inherently do.
There are a fair number of diesel nuts on that forum-truck and car diesel nuts-and they are really looking forward to the diesel Cruise.
Like you mentioned the engine isn't new- it is a tried and true GM Europe motor-really reliable-
The price-more or less the same $26000 or so list as a TD VW- is high but it is expected to be very reliable-and comes kinda loaded-worlds higher trim than a base Cruise.
And it come with GOOD QC- not pitiful VW quality control and overpriced VW dealer repair costs.
Yeah-you could do worse
but the betting is in a year or so they will be discounted because folks won't pay VW money for a small Chevy-no matter how loaded.
We'll see.
I'll let you know what numbers Wayne gets when he tests one-he gets to do the journalist tests-keeps it a couple of days etc
Charlie
PS He said it was very quiet-nothing like 1980 diesel cars-clatter clatter sooty smoke and stench-quick too just as you say-8.5 0-60 I think is GMs claim

· Registered
1,665 Posts
Right-good reviews.and compared to its only competition-various VW TDI- it comes off well
Better Hy EPA than the VW-
slightly lower -27mpg I think-city EPA
but quicker-
most importantly -it ISN'T A VW with VWs not great QC (which folks claim has improved)
Now VW TDI nuts-are more or less certifiable-like many truck Diesel nuts.
I'm SOUR GRAPES in respect to small TD in cars because
1)spark gasoline motors are sooooo good now-80% of TD mpg
2)Gasoline motored cars are at least $5000 cheaper to buy-now MSRP is only $2500 or so more-but you can never buy a base car-cheapskate like me,base is it- with a TD-so it is always $5000
3) 30 to 70 cent diesel fuel premium last 10 years-unlikely to change
4) Fuel injection-fuel systems-seem kinda delicate on TDs of all types-just ask 2004 6.0 Ford owners
5) The Prius-for slightly less $$- beats all TD cars in FE- by a LOT-maybe 20% or more
6) Mainly it is SOUR GRAPES-since I can't buy one in the next few years. I actually would love to own a TD Cruise-

but forget TDI VW- my in with my wife-in 1980-was trying to fix her POS fastback VW suitcase engine 4 cyl with early EFI- I was unsuccessful fixing the VW- SOB caught fire WHILE we were driving it- but married wife- but still prejudiced against VW!!

Yes I would love a TD Cruise with that TD 250 ft lbs(not actually sure on torque but probably plenty)
our 2006 Prius- great mpg-very reliable-cheap to maintain-BUT BORING- like a toaster!! Great transportation appliance-but a really vanilla car!!
Charlie

· Registered
1,665 Posts
TD
The diesel nuts on the mpg forum-seem to think the Cruise will feel somewhat sporty with the quick 8.5 0-60.
they are looking forward to it.
Yes I am past being interested in attracting chicks and burnouts- married 62 yo-forget it.
I just want vehicles to do what you want-cheap to own-don't break much-and DON'T leave me on the side of the road

· Registered
1,665 Posts
I think the MSRP starts at $25,990 or so.
But-it is loaded trim level.
Cheapest gas Cruise might MSRP at $17,000 I think
On another forum they said the Diesel seem to add $2500 over equivalent trim gasser
But you can't get a stripper TD
Not cheap-roughly the same as a TD VW according to other forum folks who follow it closely
Modern turbo diesels- EXPENSIVE to build buy-just look at the TD 3/4 tons-GM FORD DODGE- BIG PREMIUM.
The Cruise will list for slightly more than a base Prius-(not the cheapo stripper Prius) but maybe a tiny bit less than a Prius with similar equipment
The "Line" on the other forum- the TD will BEAT the Prius in 65mph HY MPG- actual hy FE winner will depend on gasoline diesel costs.
Some guy in midwest says they are paying $3.80 for diesel but $4.20 for gas??
We-NOLA- $3.41 gas $3.80 diesel(same as premium usually)

Bottom line-they don't give them away-but same as VW or a Prius
But it will be more "fun" than a Prius-BIG TORQUE- 2 SECONDS FASTER 0-60

· Registered
1,665 Posts
Whooooo
Wait until i tell this story on the mpg forum.
They will be getting buddies to ram TD Cruises-
some of them FOAM at the mouth about TD cars!!
$20,000- full warranty low miles-
You LUCKY so and so!!
$20,000 for a LOADED car that will get 50 mpg at hy speeds-best guess by mpg nuts is it will get 50 mpg at pretty close to 70MPH!!
They sell Civics Corollas Focus even barely more than base 1.8 lt Cruise(the cheap motor not the turbo 1.4 that get the great mpg) for almost $20,000
Shoot-I will post this story over there!!
That was the luckiest wreck ever. $4000 for a bump dent they will fix!!
Shoot my poor Suburban isn't even worth $4000-except to me.If it was totaled-bet I would get just $1500!!
Guess they wanted to get them on the road??
And that is a loaded car

Just curious-what is a sport pedal kit?
Don't you live near DFW?? They are driving almost 2500 miles one way to Vancouver??
5000 mile trip?? Certainly the right vehicle for a 5000 mile road trip!! It use just 2/3 the fuel the HHR would use!

· Registered
1,665 Posts
Must say I'm kinda borderline jealous!!
I'm better your wife will get-on the actual hy trip portion-50-maybe 55mpg!!
8000 miles-you might use just 160 gallons-vs maybe 240 for HHR- figure save $400+ because fuel is really pricy on W coast
about what I'll use on a 3000 mile trip to Flagstaff.
Good customer- well that certainly paid off-you will be the only person paying $20,000 for a loaded Cruise TD-
heck certainly the cheapest price anyone has paid for a TD car-AT- in 10 years. The VW TDs are never given away-guy was bragging about paying just $23,000 for a VW TD MT stripper recently-not a lot of folks looking for MT cars anymore.
Really curious on the mpg-it will be good-just curious if it is 50mpg good or 55mpg good.
I find I get my best mpg along I-40 between Amarillo and Flagstaff-especially W>E
The elevation-maybe averaging 4000 ft- helps mpg-thin air.And W>E is slightly downhill-
and I think the prevailing summer winds are more W>E (not exactly W>E) but more or less from the west
But the thin air is worth maybe .5 mpg on the Suburban

· Registered
1,665 Posts
WOW
Averaging 75mph driving speed getting 52mpg-spectacular??
Yeah-that is better than the Prius-at 75 mph it is maybe 43 mpg or a bit less
They have averaged a bit better than 51 mpg-2030 miles or so
1620 of them at 75 mph driving speed and 52 mpg
Yeah-that is a bit better than i would have guessed at 75 mph driving speed.I would have guessed close to 46mpg EPA HY at 75 mph- but TD are great hy(and city) always beat EPA by a lot

We once did Flagstaff TO new Orleans-1500 miles-in 24.5 hrs- 62 mph trip speed.We drove about 78 mph to do it-3 drivers- but we stopped maybe 5 times-gas bathroom-Honda Pilot-got 15 mpg!! Pitiful
thanks
I'll pass this on

· Registered
1,665 Posts
Hmmm
That is odd?
Is it a difference like 1 mpg- 51mpg vs 52mpg or more?
I wonder why??
Could it have anything to do with the soot filter?
I know the trucks-and guess the cars- have particle filters that REQUIRE raw fuel be spewed into the exhaust-onto the filter-to get the soot hot enough to completely burn away
When first instituted on the trucks in 2007-there was lots of bitching about lost FE??
Now maybe maybe these little turbos produce less soot at 70 mph than 60 mph-so they don't have to waste fuel heating up the soot so it will burn away??
Well-that is my best and only guess??

Is Your wife is just reading the NAV systems mpg now-not doing the calculations at fillips?
Are GMs nav mpg indicators "honest" ? Some are dead on-Prius sure isn't
our Prius consistently LIES- shows at least 2-3 mpg better than calculated-yeah-for 78,000 miles-always 2-3 mpg more than actual-can't possibly be by accident!!(gets great mpg but I would prefer the truth)

· Registered
1,665 Posts
tbplus10
Great she does it old school.
Right those bean counters-big on precision.
So in general GM navs only 1-2 mpg off-my prius 2-4 mpg too generous-everytime-so it is set designed to do that-no accident
Sometimes 6 mpg better at say 70 than maybe 60?? Wow-that is odd-??
My best guess would be something to do with those pollution controls- but that doesn't really make too much sense-since I think the particle filter cleaning burning is sorta on off-not constant-so you wouldn't get the instant differences like you get
I will pass this on to the mpg forum
Thanks
charlie
PS HOT near DFW where you are?? Yeah it was hell on earth hot when we last went thru DFW- mid july 2008-over 100 degrees for a 200 mile swath-shreveport to Denton or so
Never would have guessed DFW hotter than NOLA- but it is-terrible place in the summer!!

· Registered
1,665 Posts
Stchman- would barely do 75 mph??
Odd-pretty sure Prius are governed at 104 mph
Doubt I've put our 2006 over 80 mph
but from the way it accelerates at 70 mph-I have no doubt it will do the full 104.
It is a very aerodynamic car.26 cd is the claim-so it doesn't need much hp to do 100 mph
Heck not sure what hp it makes-maybe 120-130 hp?? In any case plenty enough to punch such a small aero car up to 104

I wonder if that rental car was governed?? It wouldn't be too tough to chip it in some way so the top speed was limited to 80 mph The 2012 actually has a bigger motor 1.8 liter-more hp-so I have no doubt they can do whatever -104 mph- Toyota governs then at.
Bet that rental-had some extra governing in it
Our 2006 actually has decent enough zip accelerating from say 25mph to 60 mph-the immediate electric torque-nice boost.
It won't accelerate anything like that turbo cruise- 8-8.5 0-60 in a 50+ mpg car is awfully good
The TD Cruise will slightly beat the Prius in HY mpg-but in city mpg-the Prius can't be beaten
but the TD Cruise-a LOT more fun-lot more ZIP- YEAH $20,000 for a TD Cruise-deal of the year!!
TB is a Lucky so and so

Speaking of which-trip over?? Any more MPG reports??

· Registered
1,665 Posts
TBPLUS10
Thanks for the update. The MPG is soooo good-wouldn't expect it to get much better.
I think the claim is the tolerances and quality control is so good now a days-that you don't get the boost we used to get as rings slowly bedded in-and as high spots were worn off
Yeah-right out of the box your TD was pegging it mpg wise-
a 50 mpg highway trip-hard to beat.

So they wanted that car huh-lotta TD fanatics out there-GM hasn't had a small car TD in the USA since
NEVER?? Yeah they have been making them in Europe South American Asia for 30 years or more-for all size vehicles-very good vehicles
Like you mentioned earlier-that motor is a well developed product-been in service for several years Europe maybe Asia too

I bet they wanted that baby-tried to catch her eye with a flashy Convertible Camaro?? No surprise there-car sellers know their business-now a V-8 Camaro hardtop-would have tempted me?? No where near as "makes sense car" but it would have tempted me!! Convertibles in NOLA or DFW- too freakin hot!!
Canadians buy more TD cars than we do-lotta TD trucks too.
Thanks
Charlie

7700 miles already?? It will have 10,000 plus by the time it gets home?? Seattle

· Registered
1,665 Posts
Yeah 10,000 plus miles- 45-50 mpg-heck just 200 gallons or so
I'm going to use about 180 gallons going 3000 miles to Flagstaff-and driving a few hundred city tourist miles once there
Most pretty efficient cars would have used 300 gallons over that 10,000 miles-saving close to $400
and for $20,000-you stole that car!!
You need to buy that driver who dinged it a beer!!
Well maybe not a beer-maybe a steak- he better skip the beer!!

· Registered
1,665 Posts
Maybe the rental is low trim level?? Trying to save a few $$-toyota has stiff steps on different trim levels
the auto headlights might be bundled with some expensive "sound system " stuff
Surprised it was so slow feeling-I rarely drive 75 mph guessing it certainly wouldn't "jump" at 75 mph
just 130 hp or so-but they should do an honest 100 mph

· Registered
1,665 Posts
The TD Cruise is the only car in the USA that can match the Prius HY mpg

And it has acceleration-more of less like our V-8 trucks
Our 2006 Prius sure as heck doesn't accelerate as hard as our 98 Suburban(despite 223,000 miles )
So it should appeal to truck owners who don't want to give up ZIP for FE

· Registered
1,665 Posts
Right
The Prius used to get about 2X the MPG of its small car competition
Now it gets maybe 1.4X mpg of say a 1.4 gasoline turbo Cruise
and maybe 1.25X of the TD Cruise-most of the advantage being city mpg-
The margin is narrowing

· Registered
1,665 Posts
Thank God
and thank GM for all that engineering
Jesus-that is one call you never want to get
Glad they are all right!

I-40 ?? We have taken that route many times.

· Registered
1,665 Posts
Right-didn't think of that-after a 3 rollover wreck at hy speeds-a 700 mile highway trip-no way.
-20 years ago-or even more recently before the side curtain airbags- rollover wreck like that would be fatal more often than not-
our tiny Prius has side curtain airbags-maybe4 6 all total
-that Cruise might have 10 airbags??? They literally cocooned them during the rolls-with the belts holding them in place and the fancy engineering having that metal crush just right to protect them-amazing really.
98 suburban-2 airbags
Highways filled with idiots-worse yet drunk drugged idiots on cell phones texting

· Registered
1,665 Posts
Ultimate low ball offer-typical chiseling insurance company offer- yeah-the lawyer will easily get all but full retail on car+ TTL+ medical+ pain and inconvenience-
$17000 for a car folks are paying $26000 plus TTl for-gee what a surprise!!

$17,000 for a car that will cost $25000+ TTL to replace-say $28000...
med costs-can be plenty-

Very good that parents are decent-and affluent folks with insurance.
People with drug alcohol problems(for younger folks rarely "just" booze)-tough to reach
Real burden for parents-they are hoping the legal aspects-jail or enforced rehab-will eventually straighten him out-maybe....
What sort of car was he driving?? Was it totaled

Hmmm- getting ahead of myself-but the dealership kinda owes you one- the repairs that won't happen now-I would be tempted to see what sort of deal I could get-same car-why not since it proved its worth

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.