GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Visiting my local Chevy dealer today getting my wifes HHR serviced I got a chance to get an indepth look, under the hood and on the service rack of a new Chevy Cruise Turbo Diesel that was brought in by a regional rep. to give Chevy dealers a close look at the car.

After introducing myself and letting him know we were starting our search for a vehicle to replace the wifes HHR the rep was nice enough to take me on a test drive and let me put a few miles on the car myself.

For such a small engine the Cruise TBD has good launch and pickup at speed, you actually get a small kick in the seat when the turbo increases boost while driving at hwy speeds then speeding up more.

Launch from a standing start wasnt "tire blistering race car" but it can produce tire spin and I believe drivers a little more agressive habits (meaning someone driving without a Chevy rep sitting next to you giving you odd looks) could get some tire smoking starts.

One of the more positive aspects of the vehicle is the fact that the Turbo and injectors are an existing product that have the posibility to be upgraded, now all you need is a better intake and exhaust and this little car might become a decent performer with capability of getting 40+ mpg.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part
Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Automotive design

Attachments

· Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep thats my thoughts too. Itd be my wifes car so I wouldnt get to drive it much but Im thinking a well maintained little Diesel will last a long time, she only has 50k miles on here 5 yr old HHR so thats 10k a yr, at that mileage a well maintanid Diesel could be around a long time.

· Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im thinking the TD Cruze is gonna be somewhat vanilla too, but Im more interested in something thatll get good mpg and last a long time, yea it wont attract the chicks or do impressive burn outs but if I can get many years of trouble free driving with economy Im in. Besides itll be for the wife and she really doesnt care what she drives as long as it doesnt break down on her.

· Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Local Chevy dealer called me this morning with news they had a Chevy Cruze in stock that matched exactly what I was looking for.
Wife and I went to look at it out of courtesy and curiosity since we really didnt plan on buying yet. She's leaving on a trip tomorrow for the next 30 days with the granddaughter, their driving the wifes HHR to Northern Ca. then up to Vancouver Isle B.C..

The dealership was ready to sell the minute we got there, like Charlie said the only Diesel Cruze available is fully loaded, this particular one had a few more bells and whistles, Power Sun Roof, 2LT Diesel Convienence pkg, Enhanced Safety pkg, Oil pan htr, Fog Lamp kit, Pioneer 9 speeker system, All weather mats, Cargo mat, Sport pedal kit, and Illuminated door sill kit.
MSRP was $29,880, before I even started talking they quoted a price of $27,000, after haggling back and forth I was able to get the price to $26,250 then they added a buyer loyalty incentive of $2500 bringing it down to $23,750.
Before we were able to get the papers signed another customer coming in for the parts department drove in the parking lot and bumped the right rear corner of the car while he was trying to get into a parking space, put a 2" gouge in the bumper and a 1/2" scrape in the paint. About this time I told them forget this I gotta go to work, the wife has to pack and I just dont think this deal is gonna work.
The sales manager came out and looked at the car, decided on the spot if we'd buy the car as a used car for $20,000 he'd have the damage fixed when my wife gets back from her trip by replacing the bumper and repainting the quarter panel, he'd also cover any hidden damage found. A body shop rep looked everything over real good and didnt find anything at this time but they agreed to await the determination until they take the car apart for repairs next month when it comes back from the wifes road trip.

I should have some real world mileage figures sometime next month.

· Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Texas auto sales regulations require any new previously unsold vehicle that require repairs beyond a certain cost/amount of repairs must be sold as a used vehicle, the dealership in the interest of keeping the sale alive decided not to argue the issue, take the hit but make the sale, it helps Ive bought 6 new trucks and 2 new cars from this dealership in the last 6 years.
I started to walk on the deal and let them know we didnt have the time to work on it at this time since the wife was leaving in the am. Told them I might be back in the fall if I was still interested. that worked wonders and made them jump through hoops.
The spot pedal kit is a fancy brake and gas pedal along with a drivers foot rest installed by the dealer.
Yea were south of Dallas by about 15 miles. The trip will take them to Las Vegas, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Sacramento, Oak Harbor Wash., the tip of Vancouver Isle, Boise Idaho, Reno, back to Sacramento to drop off passengers, then back to DFW with a side trip to the Grand Canyon on the way back.
Im thinking itll be closer to 7500/8000 miles. If the car gets just the advertised mpg itll save a decent piece of change, my wife has a very light foot and avgs 34mpg with the HHR so I think she'll get some remarkable #'s with this car.
She's tracking her mileage so I should start seeing how well it does in a few days.

· Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright Charlie the car is a week old and has about 2600 miles.
At this time their in San Francisco.
They drove from DFW to Las Vegas in 20 hours, Avg speed 60mph, actual speed 75 with c/c and a/c on. They avg 52 mpg.
Next was Las Vegas to L.A. then San diego, 8 hrs, avg speed 51mph, actual speed 55 with a/c and c/c. Avg fuel consumption 46mpg.
Next leg was San Diego to San Francisco, 7 hrs, avg speed 60mph, actual speed 75mph with c/c and a/c. Avg fuel consumption 52mpg.
The next leg will be tomorrow, 120 miles from San Francisco to Sacramento, Saturday and Sunday Theyll make a trip to South lake Tahoe and Reno, 500 miles round trip back to Sacto. Then Tuesday they head north towards Canada.
Ive been told around 5k many owners are seeing a bump in mileage as the engine begins to loosen up after its break in.
I was also told I might want to have her stop about that time and even thought it'll be early have the oil changed.

· Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Something I found interesting is with this car the 70+ mph range give better mpg than 50/60 mph, I thought it was a fluke but after reading an article by Ed Wallace a DFW car reviewer he pointed out the same thing and proved his suspicion by running his review car at tha speed as much as possible and seting some great mileage numbers.

· Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Not sure whats behind the mpg doing better at speed, I suspect after reading a few things its got to do with the final gearing. The difference has been as much as 6 mpg.
All her calculations are by hand and notes, shes keeping a trip log with mileage, fuel qtys, prices, drive times, etc. Not sure why she started it for this trip.
I think its got something to do with her mom insisting on paying for half the trip expenses, her moms a retired CPA and counts down to the penny.
The Nav in my truck (2011) and her HHR (2008) are very close but not perfect, if you do the math by hand its usually slightly skewed to show better mileage, normally only 1-2 mpg difference.

· Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The wife says the car cruises much better in the 70's, doesnt sound like its lugging, the trans in this car from my understanding has a very good gear spread so it doesnt shift back and forth a lot.

DFW temps were high 90's last week ending the week with 2 days over 100, temps dropped to mid 90's for the wknd and projected for next week.
Summer time we normally have temps around 100, just less humidity than Nola.

· Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
She's still in Canada, wont be home until around the begining of August.
They have over 7700 miles on the car now.
She took it to the Chevy dealer in Campbell River B.C. for service at 7000.
The dealership hadnt seen a TD Cruize yet so they took a little longer to do the service. They told my wife they wanted guidance/clarification from GM on a few things, I belive they wanted to show the car off to prospective TD Cruize buyers.
They gave her a 2013 Camero convertable loaner for 2 days, when she came back to get her Cruze it was sitting in the showroom detailed and being shown like a new car.
They tried to interest her in a straight across trade or trade and drop more money on a couple other new cars, including the Camero loaner. What I found funny was even used with 7k miles and damage on the r/r quarter they offered her a couple hthousand more than we paid for the car here in DFW.
The dealership General Manager told her if she wanted to trade he already had her car sold, she declined and hung on to it.
Mileage is still the same, even though its over the break-in period it hasnt climbed any but most of their driving for the last week has been around town. Next leg of their trip will have some long open highways so maybe we'll see an increase then.

· Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
They still have to go to Idaho, Montana, back down to Reno and Sacramento, Ca. then back across to DFW so 10,000+ wont be a surprise.
I certainly underestimated their mileage when they left.The Camero was a baseline 6cyl convertable and Im sure with the weather in B.C. top down has limited times of the year so it makes sense to try and trade it off, only problm is we own a softop Jeep she drives in spring and fall so we got no need for another convertable here, like you said summertime ots useless with the heat we normally have.

· Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I saw the parts driver the other day, he said he's walking on thin ice, he almost lost his job since that Chevy dealer is one of their best customers. They chewed him out because he's not supposed to be parking up front thats only for customers not delivery drivers.

· Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Something to consider your Prius has 7+ year old technology, for its time it was the best the market had to offer.
If you want to keep up with the market it's gonna cost you a lot more now.
Theres been so many advances pertaining to vehicle engines and drivetrains and fuel packages/systems in the last few years that technology that old is almost obsolete now.
While Toyota has made upgrades and changes to the platform they havent remained at the front of the pack, its now turned into a contest to see who can take the lead each week, a lot like the truck market.
That type of competition has been both good and bad, look at the truck market for a perfect example.

The Cruise is back on U.S. soil as of last night.
Their in Idaho today and will heading to Montana around the end of the week.

· Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Got a call last night no one ever wants to get, the wife and grandaughter were involved in an accident outside of Albuquerque NM. on their way back to Texas.
A wrong way drunk driver hit them on hwy 40 not far from Tijeras, NM. their car went over a guard rail and rolled 3 times after being hit in the left front, the other driver left the scene.
Both the wife and grandaughter excaped the accident with minor cuts, bumps, and bruises. Somebody was looking out for them.
The other driver was arrested less than 10 miles from the scene of the accident at his parents home. While the police were tracking down his license plate left at the scene his parents were calling the police to report they believed he'd been in a hit and run accident after taking their car without permission.
At this point I think the Cruise is totalled, but thanks to the safety features the wife and grandaughter are safe with only minor injuries.

· Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Yea Charlie it was I-40, they were on the curvy section east of Alb.
Every air bag in the car went off, I havent seen pics yet but I was told there isnt a straight panel left.

· Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
They were getting ready to pull over for the night.
They have airline tickets to fly they rest of the way home today.
Theyre both a little to shaken up to continue driving.

· Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thanks guys, yea it couldve been a lot worse and Im grateful it wasnt.
Both of them are real sore today but glad to be home.
I call the other driver a kid but he's 26, certainly old enough to know better.
Talked to the other drivers parents today and their fed up with the stupidity of their son, they filed auto theft charges today, he's been involved in a couple incidents over the last few years but nothing this serious, they were very upset that he almost killed someone else
The parents paid for thr girls fist class tickets home, paid their motel bill, bought them a couple changes of cloths and lugage, paid for their meals and generally took care of them, good people with a screwed up son.
The insurance co. is starting off on the wrong foot already. They tried to settle us out by offering $17k for the car and we take care of our medical cost. I countered by letting a friend of mine thats a lawyer contact them, we'll see how they react to one of Dallas Tx best litigation attourneys calling them. And yes I hate lawyers, but this one is a car enthusiast that buys a lot of vehicles from me and he does sometimes have his uses.

· Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Already asked about a deal, even mentiond I should get a multi car purchase discount, I dont think itll happen but Im not ready to buy yet I gotta get the finances straight, I payed cash so at this point its all out of my pocket.
They will give me a discount for the unfinished work.
The other driver was in a 2012 Dodge Charger.
His parents are trying to get him to plead guilty and take a 6 month rehab program followed with 30 months jail time and no possibility for early release or parole.

· Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
The parents have been staying in touch with me, they told their son either take this deal, and follow it to completion or your on your own for good, he's in his mid 20's and been screwing up for a while. The father is a retired District Att. for Albq. so Im assuming if he had wanted to get his son a good deal it wouldnt have been impossible, he just wants his son to pay his debt and get straight.
The Ins. Adjuster tried the "The sooner you agree to a payout the sooner we can finish this and get your replacement car" I countered with "I have my wifes 4yr old 50,000 mile perfectly good HHR sitting in the garage, Im in no hurry I can wait untill we get s fair payoff". Then he tried " you'll need to settle those medical bills soon before they impact your credit". My response was no I believe thats gonna be your problem, Im retired Military and the bills are all going to TriCare, they should be sending you a letter real soon about payment so you can try that settlement garbage on them if you want but I doubt the Federal Govt. Is gonna play your game.
Ill wait and see what their gonna do, Im really in no hurry sinc times on my side and the finances arent hurting me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.