GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dealership today and bought the letters off of an 07 Tahoe for cheaper than ebay, and I plan to spell out SILVERADHOE on the tailgate, and probably shave the SILVERADO off of the doors. Just thought Id let yall know...it is in memory of my 98 2dr Z71 tahoe. I will probably run by Maaco and see how much they'd charge to do the lettering, just to garuntee they'll be straight. If I do it myself, what is a safe way to get the lettering and glue off my black paint?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Nice one. I have heard that you can remove the lettering from a truck with patience and dental floss. Use the floss as a "saw" and get it off that way. To apply the letters, use a ruler and draw a straight line with a wax pen or use masking tape or something and use adhesive tape backing to apply the lettering. Thats all I can think of.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats Pimp!!! Rad Hoe!!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
once you get the lettering off with the floss or whatever you decide to use, you can get the glue residue off with some stuff called Goo Gone...works great on just about everything sticky lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
once you get the lettering off with the floss or whatever you decide to use, you can get the glue residue off with some stuff called Goo Gone...works great on just about everything sticky lol
How is that stuff on black paint?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've used goo gone before on my blue S10. That stuff really worked well for me...I don't think that it would hurt the black paint. You might just try it somewhere that's not very noticeable and see if it does anything crazy. As far as tape I always use blue painters tape on things because I've noticed that the glue stays on the tape and not everything else. I work some construction during the summers and I use that tape on everything. It works really well on granite counter tops which we know have a high gloss to them and it doesn't leave residue. Just use a level to make sure the tape is straight. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yall were a big help. Im gonna get on this as soon as the wind dies off. Thanks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thanks for the tip using the blue tape . I have been planning on using gold leaf to the letters on my truck not sure if itll work but we will see .

·
Banned
372 Posts
Dental floss is good, but I used fishing line. A heat gun doesn't hurt either.Goo gone works wonderfully and it doesn't bother paint at all. You could also use any other citrus based cleaner too, but I couldn't tell you anything about those.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Goo gone works wonderfully and it doesn't bother paint at all.
Not that i am skeptical about anyone else, but now that you have satisfied my fears, I have to ask where that stuff is cheapest at so i can do it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Alignmnt trick

An easier way is to do all your design and layout work on your desk top (real or virtual). Get everything aligned the way you want (face down) on some card stock. Make some references (I use masking tape) for card alignment on the body, or use existing seams and corners, anything that will be easy to accurately repeat. Temporarily hold the letters to the card stock (low-tack double sided tape works well). When the alignment is as good as you can get it, apply your trim adhesive to each letter. Set the entire assembly in place using the predetermined references. After the trim adhesive has set, peel away your card stock carrier. If you're doing a fleet, it will go much faster using this trick.
Of course, your actual mileage may vary.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got all the lettering off of the doors, left the GM emblems, bought the Goo Gone...pics tomorrow. May have a different idea for the tailgate...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glue is a PITA even with Goo Gone...I worked an hour and only got one door about 95% done. Still having trouble getting the last glue off after repeated attempts. Suggestions?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
An easier way is to do all your design and layout work on your desk top (real or virtual). Get everything aligned the way you want (face down) on some card stock. Make some references (I use masking tape) for card alignment on the body, or use existing seams and corners, anything that will be easy to accurately repeat. Temporarily hold the letters to the card stock (low-tack double sided tape works well). When the alignment is as good as you can get it, apply your trim adhesive to each letter. Set the entire assembly in place using the predetermined references. After the trim adhesive has set, peel away your card stock carrier. If you're doing a fleet, it will go much faster using this trick.
Of course, your actual mileage may vary.
Mileage may vary? Lol is that caused by the additional drag these two extra letters cause? The masking tape alignment is next, just gotta figure out what to write

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still having glue problems lol...bout 99.9% off now...looks great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts