GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew cab 5.3L
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the CV Axles on my 4wd 04 silverado1500. I've seen 2 different sizes for the axle nut online, 35mm and 36mm. Before I buy the socket I need, I would like to verify. I guess I could just buy both and return the one I don't use but that's a pain in the ass I don't really need. Any help will be greatly appreciated and possible entry into my Christmas card list might just happen.

·
Registered
16,453 Posts
Guarantee if you only buy one will be the wrong one.
Grab a tape with both metric and inches.
The distance across the nut, from flat to flat is the size.
Just count the mm lines on the tape.

·
Registered
16,453 Posts
I could be wrong; but I think mine is a 35mm.
I remember buying the wrong size and returning it, I just don't remember which one I bought first.
However, knowing there was 2 possible sizes, I tried it in the parking lot. I was able to quickly return it for the right size.

·
Registered
16,453 Posts
I could be wrong; but I think mine is a 35mm.
I remember buying the wrong size and returning it, I just don't remember which one I bought first.
However, knowing there was 2 possible sizes, I tried it in the parking lot. I was able to quickly return it for the right size.
I just checked mine, it is a 36mm

·
Registered
2004 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew cab 5.3L
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The consensus seems to be 36mm. I ordered one. If it's not correct, I'll just order the 35mm. Measuring the nut puts it a little over 35mm. A 35mm socket might fit depending on the tolerances of the socket itself. 36mm seems to be a better bet. Thanks for all the input.:p:giggle:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts