GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i just bought a used 2000 silverado with 75,000 km on it not bad for 6 years. this truck is mint other then from little rust spots inside the bottom of the door and a little on the hatch its perfect...and making left turns. when i make left turns i hear a werid sound for a bit but i only can hear it from the inside it sounds like my steering column or a buddy said wheel bearings. i dont know its a werid squiling sound and im not taking it in to get checked out. would anyone know about this and what it could be?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Welcome aboard, It could be power steering pump, belt, idler pulley, steering box(at base of steering shaft). Left only sounds kinda like steer box though...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think its the belt or steering box one of thoes. well saturday im going to change the difference fluid so i mind as well look at the belt and the box what should i look for? and where is the belt? is the belt near the power steering pump?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
i think its the belt or steering box one of thoes. well saturday im going to change the difference fluid so i mind as well look at the belt and the box what should i look for? and where is the belt? is the belt near the power steering pump?
Check fluid level is good and not discoloured. Check lines in/out of power steering pump for cracks. Yours should be a serpentine belt. Steering box is at base of steering column on frame rail.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
If you have a buddy helping you put front end up on axel stands (safely) just so weight is off front end get your buddy to move the wheel while you look under hood. Don't wear loose clothing and watch where your putting your hands. You might find it faster that way.
Good luck, post back your findings...

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Post your finding if ya get stuck, Plenty of smart cookies here to help you...

·
Registered
161 Posts
alright i just bought a used 2000 silverado with 75,000 km on it not bad for 6 years. this truck is mint other then from little rust spots inside the bottom of the door and a little on the hatch its perfect...and making left turns. when i make left turns i hear a werid sound for a bit but i only can hear it from the inside it sounds like my steering column or a buddy said wheel bearings. i dont know its a werid squiling sound and im not taking it in to get checked out. would anyone know about this and what it could be?
well in my truck i know that the wheel bearings are going because whenever i hit around 40 mph the truck starts to shake a bit but i havent herd any noise coming from it..but if it is those on your truck they are easey to replace and are pritty cheep too

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya but it only makes the sounds when moving and i can only hear it inside. and when i go to park it i can hear knocking and my break peadel knocks i dont know maybe im just trying to find things wrong with it couz it is a used truck but i dont know. im a picky person and like verything perfect.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
What levels of car repair knowledge and hands on do you have?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not bad i know that basics but my father knows alot more lol ill be doing it with him. im in auto body but im learning more about other things from my father.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Noise in steering column

My 2004 Suburban had a clunking noise coming from the steering column when turning left. There is a coupler for the collapsible steering column that needed to be repacked with grease. I took it to my local Chevy dealer and they said that it is common on '99 and up GM trucks. They repacked it and it has been good but they said it will happen again in time. Hopefully that is all it is on yours.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
My 2004 Suburban had a clunking noise coming from the steering column when turning left. There is a coupler for the collapsible steering column that needed to be repacked with grease. I took it to my local Chevy dealer and they said that it is common on '99 and up GM trucks. They repacked it and it has been good but they said it will happen again in time. Hopefully that is all it is on yours.
Nice work, thanks for posting. Very good advice in where to look first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so its just rubber rubbing nothing big but i would like to change it since the last owner had over sized tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts