GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many baffles can be damaged (pushed in - say from a wreck) for the radiator to no longer work properly? Anyone have an opinion on this?

·
Super Moderator
3,391 Posts
my guess would be that if even 1 baffle is damaged all the way from top to bottom, it would cease to work right. I'm assuming that you're referring to your poor TB. If the front end is trashed, I'd call the radiator trashed. When I was 18, I ran into this old guy's pickup. Crunched my hood pretty good, but the radiator appeared to work perfectly still. Hope this helps in the guessing stage of things ;)

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, you see right through me. ;-)

Well, There is a section of baffles that appear to have taken a whack from pauley wallnuts. I'd say that they should consider giving me a new chevy radiator. I'd hate for it to go out in like 25k miles.

But, I've had other radiators have a small group get smooshed and there didn't seem to be much problem.
Trailblazer Parts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my guess would be that if even 1 baffle is damaged all the way from top to bottom, it would cease to work right. I'm assuming that you're referring to your poor TB. If the front end is trashed, I'd call the radiator trashed. When I was 18, I ran into this old guy's pickup. Crunched my hood pretty good, but the radiator appeared to work perfectly still. Hope this helps in the guessing stage of things ;)
Welcome to Master Mechanic ranking, Mr. 500+ posts.

·
Super Moderator
3,391 Posts
I didn't even realize there was a level above Sr. Engineer. Everyone who I've seen that has 500+ posts, it a moderator :rofl:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Steve they make special "combs" for radiator and condencer fins. If the rad isnt leaking and the fins are just bent over its still good. If you dont want to go all out with a comb just us a small flat head screw driver and go to town, lol. Might be able to make a whole evening of it, lol. But yeah as long as it will hold pressure and the water flow isnt disrupted by one of the inner core tubes being bent your good to go.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They were going to look at it as there may be a broken piece on the top of the radiator anyhow near a hose.

Chevy Parts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts