GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just looked at a 2002 Suburban that is in pretty good shape except for a couple of spots on the dash where the vinyl paint has been rubbed off. The dash is silver and the underlying dash is black.

Has anyone has success in touching-up spots on the dash? Any sources for vinyl paint?

Thanks.

Tom

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I have never tried touching up a dash with vinyl paint. I have used it for a complete color change and it works great. I went to my local automotive paint store to get the paint.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went on Duplicolor's web site today and found that they have a whole line of Vinyl paint. Duplicolor's typical default generic colors are usually GM specific colors. I'm going to give them a try. Thanks for the lead.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It seems like you found the solution but geez.... The color should not come off like it is. And it should be more than a vinyl paint. I would try a regular paint on an area not readily seen. Then see how well it works.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
The tan colored dash paint it flaking in a few spots on the passenger side dash showing black through on my wife's 2001 Suburban. I am interested as well to see if the touch-up paint works for you Tom.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ok, now I know what you are dealing with. My 95 BMW has the vinyl coating which is still very good. There are no problems with it. I use a dash cover but I am also in Phoenix,AZ. This seems to me to be a tough one to fix. I guess I would try the vinyl paint but on some other plastic surface first (I assume Chevy has plastic underneath also) to see if you can get the proper results.
Then I would get a dash cover.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did my "repaint" this weekend. I found something much better than Duplicolor. A Charlotte, NC based company called SEM offers over 50 colors. The product is called SEM Color Coat Aerosol. Their web site is www.sem.ws (I know it doesn't look like a web addres, but it is correct). Navigate to the Color Coat Aerosols. I would recommend finding a daler near you so that you can get the color card and take it to your vehicle for deciding which color to by. It costs about $10-$11 a can.

I'm pleased with the results.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts