GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1998 2wd 1500 Suburban has DRL(bought it 3 weeks ago).They are fine for safety, but I want to disconnect them so I can install true HID bulbs in the low beams(9006). The DRL system runs on lower power than "normal" lights,so I don't think it can work with the DRL.
Do all 1998 Suburbans have DRL?
How can I disable them-disconnect them?
I can use the high beams-9005-for the HID, but I would rather use the low beams.If forced to use the high beams,I just tilt them downward like low beams.
Thanks,
Charlie
PS-How i the world do I get access to the 9005's-high beam bulbs.It is behind a shroud of some sort-big PITB. The low beam bulbs are easy to get to.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
To turn off the drl's, push the emergency brake in one click. The headlight unit has to come out to get at the bulbs.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Gary, thanks for the info. So there isn't an easy way to get at the bulbs-oh well.
I really want to disconnect them.Do you mean just putting the EB down one click won't engage it, but will disengage the DRLs? Maybe I can tape down the switch that the EB must activate when it is released.
Thanks,
Charlie

·
Registered
233 Posts
That works on older cars, but on newer vehicles, theyll turn on and itll beep till no tomorro. I just pulled the DRL fuse. The fuse seems like a better way to me personally just cus i set the park brake all the time and would forget to push it down a click.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Either removing the fuse, or if it's an independent switch (separate from the parking brake switch) remove, or disable the switch.
removing the fuse is probably the easiest way. Otherwise you'll be looking at the "brake" light on your dash all the time.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Separate fuse-great!

Separate fuse for the DRL-great!! I'll just pull that sucker.
Hey,does anyone out there have a better way to install these %$&* gas shocks. I spent 1/2 hr last night trying to muscle in the 1st one-no success,and I'm lucky I didn't lose a finger.
After a not so good nights sleep,I decided to do this.Half assed,and I'll have to cut it away(might be able to reuse it),so I'll use about a roll of duck tape.
There must be some sort of throw away strap to do this, but I have duck tape,so...
Thanks,
Charlie

·
Registered
298 Posts
well based on your assesment of the ducktape use, you must be canadian too... but otherwise you must have bought the shocks used, because they come with a rubber strap around them to stop that. that you are suppposed to cut off after they are installed LOL

but that will work.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Canada, huh

I'm a little bit south of canada-ha,ha.Follow the Mississippi down about 2000 miles.
No I bought them new-off ebay.No straps.It was a real pain to do the rear ones-the duct tape-about 5 wraps-worked, but I figured a purpose built "strap".The front ones didn't need a strap-I just lifted it a bit more so the suspension opened as much as possible.
Yeah, it sure would have been nice to have purpose made straps.I spent 2 hours at night trying to muscle them in place before getting smart,waiting for daylight(always a good idea),and making my strap.In truth, in daylight I managed to lever the second rear one into place without the strap.(light helps)
Thanks,
Charlie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts