GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, I've been thinking about getting some bed rail protection. As its bound to happen got a few small scratches in the paint and the odd little dime size light dent in them since I use my truck as a truck and not a grocery getter. I've been thinking about getting the DeeZee wrap tread plate style covers to go along with the deezee low pro box I just snagged for $150. Any thoughts on the covers? Good? Bad? worth the $130 or so? I won't put plastic ones on and I plan to replace the bed liner with line-x down the road. But I figure they'll do good for now and could even keep them after the line-x as well. Heres a pic with the new bed box, think it'll be too much tread plateish on the back?

And sorry can't seem to insert the image of the bed rails, but here's the direct link.

http://www.deezee.com/products/240/Truck_Bed_Rail_Protection/Side_Bed_Caps/Black_Tread_Wrap_Side_Bed_Caps.html?right_select_year=2010&right_select_make=19&right_select_model=834

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
The diamond plate DO scratch the paint under them because of bed flex. I've seen rust then run down the sides of the truck beds and stain the paint. If your planning on have Line-X sprayed on in the future then I would temporarly install the plastic ones.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yar.. well I just went and put in a deposit.. and paid an extra $20 for them to be over nighted up here, rather then wait 3 weeks.. :grrrrrr:

I got some foam tape at work and I might run it along the outter edges of the caps before I put them on. I mainly wanted them so the box sits on them instead of the bed and like a moron didn't really think that far down the line that they too will just end up scratching my paint.

Ah well.. what can you do. They should be installed by tomorrow night might have some new pics up over the weekend.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Just keep a eye for rust running down on the paint. If you remove it in a reasonable amount of time it shouldn't stain the paint. Try to keep the bed sides waxed to help keep the rust fom staining. Do this until you do the Line-X.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
yar.. well I just went and put in a deposit.. and paid an extra $20 for them to be over nighted up here, rather then wait 3 weeks.. :grrrrrr:

I got some foam tape at work and I might run it along the outter edges of the caps before I put them on. I mainly wanted them so the box sits on them instead of the bed and like a moron didn't really think that far down the line that they too will just end up scratching my paint.

Ah well.. what can you do. They should be installed by tomorrow night might have some new pics up over the weekend.
I just bought me the Buschwacker OE style tailgate cap to replace the factory one and it looks WAY better! The cap is smooth and is even ready to paint and it's very easy to install too. I ordered it from www.autoanything.com here is a link to it... http://www.autoanything.com/bed-caps-rails/60A5830A0A0A2635089.aspx

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
picked em up and installed them.. after having to return the first ones they gave me as they were for a chevy. I really didn't think the beds were all that different, but they sure are. I'll post some pictures, I added a few strips of molding tape to the lower lip of them to hopefully keep them away from my paint lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think they look bomb, only time will tell if the extra 3M tape I put on around the edges will stop it from muffin up the paint badly.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
They look good.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks I must agreee with ya, though I'm kinda bias :great:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
ive been meaning to get some bed rail caps for my truck, just havny done it yet. the toolbox i have had some good foam padding on the under side of the lip and so far it seems to be working.

Alex

·
Registered
45 Posts
Those look great man. Definately put those back on when you get the bedliner.

Also, don't wait too long, ive seen many trucks with no paint left under those things, and I'd hate to see that on such a pretty truck.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the compliments guys, and the line-x is more then likely going to happen in the spring. Or possibly around xmas. Can they do line-x in the winter? Or is it kinda like tint, it needs a few warm days in a row to set up properly? Remember I live in Toronto, Ontario so yes its cold for a while.. and our new mayor is a f-tard but we won't get into that haha

I try not to smack too much stuff off them to keep em from hitting the paint as much as I can, I just can't wait for the joy of having to remove all the 3m tape before I get it spray'd lol.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Line-X can be applied year round. Most shops are heated in the winter and it dries almost instantly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts