GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Silverado that has a defective shutter assembly. From what I'm told from the dealership is that the electric motor is faulty. This leaves me with an expensive repair, since my warranty has expired (86000km)With this said I have a few questions.
1) If the shutter assembly is not repaired, will it cause any other problems?
2) Is this a common problem with the shutter assembly?
3) Due to the defective shutter assembly, the check engine light is now activated. This in turn prevents my remote start from working. Is there a way to get this working without replacing the shutter assembly?
Thank you for any thoughts or advice.

·
Registered
15,237 Posts
Hi RB, if it was me, I'd remove the motor and test it myself.

It could be a defective motor, but it could be a corrison/dirty issues with the moving parts.

Your CEL light is on, the code that is stored would be a big help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Ray, thank you for your reply. I have attached a pic of the code that was given to me by the service department. Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,237 Posts
Hi Rob, lost communication codes are usually of 2 types, a software hiccup that can be reset with a reboot; or a physical problem like a broken wire, a grounded wire, or a poor connection.

I'd try a reboot first, a quick way to do that is a battery disconnect.
Disconnect the negative ground on the battery (10 mm socket), leave disconnected for 30 min to clear the light.
Also, turn the heat/ac control unit off before disconnecting, some times the actuators get out of sync.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Ray. Just arrived home yesterday so gave the battery idea a try. Disconnect the negative for about an hour. No luck. definitely worth a shot. Thank again.

·
Registered
15,237 Posts
Rob, you didn't give us much vehicle info.
Using a shutter, I assumed you had a Silverado diesel 2500; checked parts list for it and the 1500, no shutter assembly.

The shutter motor should be available as a separate part.
After you tested the old motor and proved it is bad, I'd replace the motor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Ray. It’s actually a 2017 1500, not diesel. My next move, I’m guessing, would be to remove the grill and starting testing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Ray
So on the report they call it the active air grill shutter but verbally the mechanic said shutter assembly. Is there a difference?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Ray, rbt the shutter assy is in GM parts on line part number 84363184. $221.13. The motor must be a part of the assy as it is not listed seperately.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Rockstar. I did inquire about the motor being part of the assembly and they confirm it was. It may be possible to swap the motor, I’m hoping

·
Registered
15,237 Posts
Guys, I couldn't find a separate motor part when @Rbt started this thread.

And now that we have the assembly part number, I still don't see a separate part for the motor.

Rbt maybe changing the whole assembly might be the smart way to go

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
This is an example of another device that is supposed to increase MPG. While it might help, the problem is its another piece of hardware and software to fail and cause additional expense as we see here. Here comes the service engine soon light and DTC again. Under warranty repair is no problem but.................. I see that some folks are already developing kits to get rid of these shutters. I wonder how many GM had to replace so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is an example of another device that is supposed to increase MPG. While it might help, the problem is its another piece of hardware and software to fail and cause additional expense as we see here. Here comes the service engine soon light and DTC again. Under warranty repair is no problem but.................. I see that some folks are already developing kits to get rid of these shutters. I wonder how many GM had to replace so far.
I made an inquiry to GM about this, but as if today, no reply

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I've had the shutter replaced. My local dealer offered to install it at no charge. I had to purchase it, which in the long run saved me about $400. The service manager did inform me of two things 1) They are seeing that the shutter assemblies are not conducive with the weather here in Nova Scotia 2) The dealership is seeing this problem more frequently. Lastly a thank you to all who replied to my posting (y)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I've had the shutter replaced. My local dealer offered to install it at no charge. I had to purchase it, which in the long run saved me about $400. The service manager did inform me of two things 1) They are seeing that the shutter assemblies are not conducive with the weather here in Nova Scotia 2) The dealership is seeing this problem more frequently. Lastly a thank you to all who replied to my posting (y)
I’m having the same issue with my 17 Silverado. Same code u1510 and U1501. How much did the dealer originally quote you to have this fixed with labor. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I could add to the string, I just had the same issue with my 2017. Estimate $1100.00 to repair at the dealerl, think I'll try and repair myself. I think GMC should do a recall on this device.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts