GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Silverado Crew Cab, 2WD 5.3L with 45000 miles. Since new, it has not had an issue running 87 octane gas, but lately it has been pinging under moderate - full throttle. I tried higher octane gas, and though it pings less, it is still there. This truck has never worked hard a day in its life. I have thought about replacing the spark plugs, but I have had other vehicles run much further before needing replacement and doubt that this could be the problem. Could I have a bad knock sensor? If so, would the check engine light come on? I do not wish to continue spending the extra money on 89+ octane gas.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
It sounds like you have the typical 5.3L carbon build up problem. i would try a really good seafoam treatment. and then go from there because the 5.3L had a habit of building up carbon in the combustion area that would cause detonation... keep us posted as well.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Yep a little bit of carbon build-up goes a long way.
Try a SeaFoam treatment as previously recommended.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good idea on the Seafoam, but I would also clean the MAF and throttle body. I had the same issue with my Suburban along with an occasional check engine light when under hard acceleration. Cleaned both and it is running like a dream.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Yep, Seafoam, clean throttlebody and MAF.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
All good advice here...

Don't forget to do a fuel pressure test. Low fuel pressure will cause detonation, which causes damaged rod bearings, which causes...

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
It's not going to diesel, the fuel pump and injectors are off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, after adding a can of Seafoam during my last fill up, the detonation is much less than it was. I will try another can with the next fill up and let you know if it finally goes away. Thanks for all of the ideas.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nothing wrong with Seafoam in the tank, but if you want to utilize it to the best of it's abilities you really need to do an intake cleaning with it. I recently tried the new style can with the throttle-body adapter, works well but I kind of preferred the old method of pulling the brake booster vacuum line off and pouring in that way. However, using that throttle body adapter probably does a better job of evenly distributing the solution throughout the cylinders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After two consecutive tankfulls w/Seafoam, the pinging has disappeared and I can once again run 87 octane fuel. Thanks for the advice ! ! !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the pinging is back. Truck has 56,000 miles and now spends more time on the highway than in town. I will begin another Seafoam treatment starting with the throttle body cleaning, but will this be a re-occuring issue that will need constant attention, or is there a perminent fix the dealer can perform? I purchased the extended warranty when new and since I have moved back to Texas I can take it to the dealer it was purchased from.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts